Thread: Fox Delta Kits: LCD SWR Meter

Fox Delta Kits: LCD SWR Meter

Anyone familiar with the Fox Delta kits in general, and if so, their various SWR kits in particular?

I've got most of the parts I need to build my KW-level Transmatch this winter; everything but a switch or two (multiple outputs, bypass, etc.) and something to fill the hole on the front of the case (the gutted case of an old Drake tuner -- just the inside aluminum).

So the thought occurs to me that since I have a hole to fill anyway, instead of going with a "stock" analog SWR bridge from somewhere (possibly acquiring an old meter and moving it into this case), why not try a digital meter instead?

That said, I'm not familiar enough with the various offerings to know what is actually a decent kit out there, and what's dreck.

The Fox Delta kits look good (and unlike many others, they're not limited to QRP or 100 W levels), but I'm just not familiar with them. http://www.foxdelta.com/products/swr-hf.htm

It looks like I actually need two kits to make this work: The SWR bridge, to sample the signal, of which there are a couple to choose from; and the SWM-2 LCD meter assembly, which analyzes & displays the appropriate values.

Any thoughts? Any ideas of somewhere else to look? There's no great rush, as I probably won't start on this until the weather gets pretty cold out, I'd simply like to have everything ready when the time comes to work on it.

Thanks!
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 300!!!!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Know Parallax BASIC? Get a Stamp, a graphic (128x32) LCD, a couple 8 or 12-bit serial A/D converters then roll your own front end.

The line samplers can be built using "plumber" construction, and I have an old Motorola unit which is yours for the asking.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Quote Originally Posted by N8YX View Post
    Know Parallax BASIC? < snip >
    No. The last BASIC I used was PowerBASIC (formerly Borland's Turbo BASIC) and that's been a good many years.

I wouldn't rule out doing this someday, but not yet.
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 300!!!!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Quote Originally Posted by N8YX View Post
    Know Parallax BASIC? Get a Stamp, a graphic (128x32) LCD, a couple 8 or 12-bit serial A/D converters then roll your own front end.

The line samplers can be built using "plumber" construction, and I have an old Motorola unit which is yours for the asking.
    I am thinking of doing something similar with a functional Geiger counter circuit I built a few years ago. In it's present incarnation it gives audible clicks each time the Geiger tube registers a count. So if you want to get a rough idea of background radiation levels, or the radiation level of say a vintage radium watch you have to manually count the clicks over a period of several minutes to determine CPM and then multiply and divide by a few numbers (based on the particular tubes charachteristics) in order to determine radiation levels in unites such as urem/hr. For example, yesterday I measured a background level of between 5 - 7 urem/hr. Not bad at all. If I put my old 1940;s radium dial watch next to it the count rate goes high enough where I can no longer count the clicks manually... imagine wearing one of those for years on end...

I want to incorporate a digital readout to the counter so I don't have to sit and count clicks. The bast way I can think of is to use a Stamp and an LCD readout. But this will be the first I have ever dealt with a BASIC Stamp and I don;t know too much about doing this yet. So it will be a beginners learning experience for me. Of course in addition to the readout the counter will be left with the ability to give audible clicks as well.
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.

Quote Originally Posted by n2ize View Post
    I want to incorporate a digital readout to the counter so I don't have to sit and count clicks. The bast way I can think of is to use a Stamp and an LCD readout. But this will be the first I have ever dealt with a BASIC Stamp and I don;t know too much about doing this yet. So it will be a beginners learning experience for me. Of course in addition to the readout the counter will be left with the ability to give audible clicks as well.
    I've done a lot of Stamp programming and Parallax' support forum is excellent. Feel free to ask either resource. I think someone already did what you're planning and has posted source code.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."