Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Uniden 2600 'President'

Uniden 2600 'President'

OK, maybe not strictly "vintage" equipment...

At the club meeting tonight, I was given a Uniden 2600 'President' 10 meter multi-mode rig. It's destined for my friend Ben KB3ERQ (who I really have to get to upgrade to General!)

There are just two little problems...

(1) No manual
    (2) No power cord

I'm pretty sure I can find the manual online. Anyone know what connector it needs for the power cord, or better yet, where I can find one?

No, my source doesn't have them. The rig is out of an estate, and in the course of things, things got separated.
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 300!!!!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Quote Originally Posted by W3WN View Post
    OK, maybe not strictly "vintage" equipment...

At the club meeting tonight, I was given a Uniden 2600 'President' 10 meter multi-mode rig. It's destined for my friend Ben KB3ERQ (who I really have to get to upgrade to General!)

There are just two little problems...

(1) No manual
    (2) No power cord

I'm pretty sure I can find the manual online. Anyone know what connector it needs for the power cord, or better yet, where I can find one?

No, my source doesn't have them. The rig is out of an estate, and in the course of things, things got separated.
    If no one can help you right off, can you post a pix of the connector on the rig?
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL

Quote Originally Posted by K7SGJ View Post
    If no one can help you right off, can you post a pix of the connector on the rig?
    Well, I found a copy of the manual online in PDF format ( http://www.coutant.org/hr2600/index.html for anyone else interested).

Here's what the manual has:HR2600Power.jpg
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.

Cutch 300!!!!!

Finally found one on eBay. I was looking under 'Uniden 2600'; turns out that it's the same cord for the older 'Uniden 2510'. Should have it in a couple of days. Couple of bucks, nothing outrageous, but not having that particular 2 pin Molex connector sitting around...

BAN THE DH!

Cutch 300!!!!!

Glad you found one. See ya on ten mobile.
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL

I have several cords for that rig, and the connector is the same as used by RC hobby equipment for battery connection. Your local hobby shop should have them if all else fails.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Quote Originally Posted by K7SGJ View Post
    Glad you found one. See ya on ten mobile.
    Well, not right away.

I'm going to loan the rig to Ben KB3ERQ, just to get him on the air. Once it comes back, I'm thinking of using it to drive my Ten-Tec 10-to-6 meter transverter. Or, I may just hook it up on the Solarcon A-99 as a dedicated 10 meter station.

BAN THE DH!

Cutch 300!!!!!

Update:

Power cord came today. Radio powered right up (about 10 W out). Worked CX5CBA on 28.505 a few minutes ago with it.

Yea!

It goes to KB3ERQ tonight or tomorrow. And he already has an antenna (10 meter Ringo), so this should get him on the air. Hey, it's a start.

And when it comes back, I have something to drive my Ten Tec 1208 transverter!

BAN THE DH!

Cutch 300!!!!!

Cut the end off a zip cord. Strip the two ends and solder directly to the power plug ends. Fill the hole with Great Stuff. Don't worry about all the yellow goop that expands over the back--find one of them "Dave Made" amps to go with it and yer good to go. Maybe cover up the goop with some duck tape, and throw in a Workman Swar meter and a D-104 chicken choker. It's an export radidio there good buddy...
    Last edited by AE1PT; 01-28-2013 at 09:04 PM.
    Give a man a fish, and he will eat it. Teach a man to fish and he will spend lots of money on tackle...

Quote Originally Posted by AE1PT View Post
    Cut the end off a zip cord. Strip the two ends and solder directly to the power plug ends. Fill the hole with Great Stuff. Don't worry about all the yellow goop that expands over the back--find one of them "Dave Made" amps to go with it and yer good to go. Maybe cover up the goop with some duck tape, and throw in a Workman Swar meter and a D-104 chicken choker. It's an export radidio there good buddy...
    Barkeep! I think Mr. Thrush has had quite enough tonight! At least, someone confiscate his car keys & put the water taxi service on stand-by...

I don't think I ever did post an update. It took awhile, but the rig finally got to KB3ERQ. Ben has a 10 meter Ringo, which will eventually go up on his rooftop. But he has gotten his act (and the station) together, and made a few QSOs.

I'm still working on getting him to upgrade. One thing at a time.

Now, as far as the Workman goes... what a piece of dreck. I picked one up, thinking it was a cheap knock-off of a Daiwa dual needle bridge. It works fine... for 10, 12, 15, & 17. Once you hit 20, the meter starts "losing" power -- 100 W out on a Daiwa is 75 out on the Workman, by the time you get down to 160, it shows "full power" out as 10 W. I don't THINK so...

In any case, Ben also has an AEA 300 W tuner with a built-in dual needle SWR bridge, courtesy of N3HKQ, so he doesn't need any dreck.

BAN THE DH!

Cutch 300!!!!!