Thread: Noisy amp blower fan

Noisy amp blower fan

So here it is 3AM. Finally ran the 220VAC line from the tech bench over to where the OP is and plugged in the 'new' amp. It's an Amp Supply LK-500BZ. Fine business, as it pumps 1.8KW into a dummy load with 100W of exciter input on a two tone audio signal. 500/1000W out @ 30/50W in, respectively. Output is clean as can be. Next task is to make a couple more LMR-400 Flexi jumper cables--and continue building a base tune/load chart for the bands.

I got started on this on 75M. Then the fan kicked in to a higher speed. It's noisy enough just on standby--but turns into a real nuisance after the 3-500Z's warm up a bit. Like obnoxiously loud. The fan is not bad--just a suck design. Anyone have any experience with these amps--and a suggestion for a better fan?
    Give a man a fish, and he will eat it. Teach a man to fish and he will spend lots of money on tackle...

Are you saying that it is not the fan itself that is loud but the airflow system used to cool the tubes is noisy by design ? In other words if you swapped out the fan for a different one it would still be loud ?
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.

You may find the following discussion to be of interest:

http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/in...?topic=79809.0
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Quote Originally Posted by AE1PT View Post
    So here it is 3AM. Finally ran the 220VAC line from the tech bench over to where the OP is and plugged in the 'new' amp. It's an Amp Supply LK-500BZ. Fine business, as it pumps 1.8KW into a dummy load with 100W of exciter input on a two tone audio signal. 500/1000W out @ 30/50W in, respectively. Output is clean as can be. Next task is to make a couple more LMR-400 Flexi jumper cables--and continue building a base tune/load chart for the bands.

I got started on this on 75M. Then the fan kicked in to a higher speed. It's noisy enough just on standby--but turns into a real nuisance after the 3-500Z's warm up a bit. Like obnoxiously loud. The fan is not bad--just a suck design. Anyone have any experience with these amps--and a suggestion for a better fan?
    Amazing, I have the same amplifier, LK-500ZB. I haven't noticed that the fan is all that noisy. 1800 watts is squeezing that baby, and a little hard on the power supply. The PS in those things wasn't all that hefty. Mine will output 1300-1400 watts on 40 and 20 meters with 100w in, but the tubes are the originals. I have an unused pair of Eimac 3-500's I should install in the thing.

Guess I better get the HF antennas back in the air first. They've been laying on the ground for a long time now...

Oh, I have no intention of ever running this thing that hard as a practice. Nice to see what a decent set of 3-500Z's and a Harbach kit can do for one though...

I went through 3 different muffin fans when I rebuilt my SB-200 about four years ago. The first two came from Mouser, the last from Digi-Key. The big difference was the last was a 220VAC model. Whisper quiet, and a very nice CFM rate.
    Give a man a fish, and he will eat it. Teach a man to fish and he will spend lots of money on tackle...

I wanted to think of something helpful AND practical but all I can see in my mind are insulated ducts running in and out of the wall behind the amp bringing air in and exhausting it back out.