Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First antenna in the air!

Orca Whisperer

First antenna in the air!

Don't know if "in the air" is really appropriate, but I got my 2M dipole (Was vertical in my attic at the old QTH) attached to a little bracket off the garage.

It's nice being able to hear stuff on the radio again Next up: Figuring how to run my fan dipole. I don't have the benefit of an attic (Well, a crawl space); and my lot isn't conducive to an inverted V. I think I may just have to sink a tower, at least a decent TV antenna tower attached to my garage like my landlord at the old place had. Not sure.

This Saturday, I'm throwing something up, be it a single wire, just to get to hear (And, maybe QSO on low power) because I'm dying to get this shack at least functioning 100%, even if sub-optimally for now.
    Big Giant Meteor 2020 - We need to make Earth Great Again

http://www.coreyreichle.com

Corey, check out a 4-BTV, and add 12/17m to it with some PVC and a couple bits 'o wire. Doing it that way allows QRO, which the factory made add on's don't. Don't know how big your lot is, but there's no law saying radials A: have to be in a circle and B: that they have to run in a straight line. I did mine with some years ago with 32 radials of various lengths, none measured as doing so when they are on the ground is a waste of time. The longest was about 35', the shortest was about 20', all arranged in a bow tie going E/W. Worked like gangbusters...one the OK section in the ARRL DX test a few years in a row.

And, by the way...those antennas are CHEAP!
    When the government's boot is on your throat, whether it is a left boot or a right boot is of no consequence. — GARY LLOYD

The nation we live in is the nation we have built by design, each successive generation raising the wall of tyranny a little higher. - Chris Griffin

Orca Whisperer
    I've got to check that antenna out. House just isn't in the right position to do an inverted V (Well, I guess it could be...), and I don't think a fan dipole will work here. But, I might have to ask my Realtor(TM) ham-friend, N2KKM what her opinion is :D

KELLI! I NEED A SITE SURVEY! lol

+1 on the 4BTV. I would think about the 6BTV version inside some PVC pipe, disguised as a flagpole. You don't need the capacity hats and other such protruberances of the 4 and 5-BTV series with the 6-band setup so flag-poling one is easy.

What type of rig do you own? Any chance of using a remote tuner and random wire/radial system with it? I own several Icom transceivers which can interface to an AH-2 antenna tuner via control and bandswitching cable; if I was in your situation I might consider mounting the tuner on a plate then using a nearby tree to support a cage monopole. Feed the cage element with the tuner and lay down a bunch of radials as a counterpoise.

An inverted L also works good in this application.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Orca Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by N8YX View Post
    +1 on the 4BTV. I would think about the 6BTV version inside some PVC pipe, disguised as a flagpole. You don't need the capacity hats and other such protruberances of the 4 and 5-BTV series with the 6-band setup so flag-poling one is easy.

What type of rig do you own? Any chance of using a remote tuner and random wire/radial system with it? I own several Icom transceivers which can interface to an AH-2 antenna tuner via control and bandswitching cable; if I was in your situation I might consider mounting the tuner on a plate then using a nearby tree to support a cage monopole. Feed the cage element with the tuner and lay down a bunch of radials as a counterpoise.

An inverted L also works good in this application.
    My rig is an FT-840. I could do the remote tuner, it'd have to wait till I get the dollars lined up, but it's doable. Disguised? Pfft! No HOA's here lol

I might give the inverted L a shot, can't hurt, and it's all fun. I've got plenty of wire to do it, and plenty of coax.

Are you patriotic?

If you are, and your front yard is decent sized (with no inconvenient overhead electrical wires in the wrong place), then I have three words for you:

Flag. Pole. Vertical.

...I have to finish the front steps tonight (ran into a few problems last night, nothing insolveable but I need another stringer & a few more 2x4's), then some more railing. That's tonight & tomorrow, weather & school open house permitting. Saturday & Sunday, the 4' x 12' extension on the side. And THEN I install the FPV.
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 300!!!!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

I have all this room, and I only have a 144/440 Arrow J-pole up. I better hurry up.

Though I think I'll get it together before 'IzE does. :stickpoke:
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

Have you considered a dual band configuration set up as a slopper?

Quote Originally Posted by KG4CGC View Post
    Have you considered a dual band configuration set up as a slopper?
    Slopper? Is that an antenna made out of a bedpan?
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ6BSO View Post
    Slopper? Is that an antenna made out of a bedpan?
    Bedpan, tin can, king of Siam, body slam. The Slopper antenna can be a longwire or a dipole.