Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Top CB radio manufacturer

My FT-107m has eleven meters right from the factory. I don't do the CB stuff though. Too much chaos. If I want chaos, I contest on the ham bands because the net controllers and emergency whackers make it funner.

"Bacon, Beans and Limousines"
    "Actually, it's a Democratic Republic; Democratic comes first".
    Please don't confuse my personality with my attitude. My personality is obviously me, But my attitude depends largely upon you.

Island Regular
    Uniden made a good set and still does but i have a fondness for the older cobra when it was dynascan corp ;)

Quote Originally Posted by N7WQY View Post
    Uniden made a good set and still does but i have a fondness for the older cobra when it was dynascan corp ;)
    On the Island, we usually end a revelation like that with, "Get off my lawn!"

"Bacon, Beans and Limousines"
    "Actually, it's a Democratic Republic; Democratic comes first".
    Please don't confuse my personality with my attitude. My personality is obviously me, But my attitude depends largely upon you.

Quote Originally Posted by ki4itv View Post
    If I want chaos, I contest on the ham bands because the net controllers and emergency whackers make it funner.
    I love you, man. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

For many years I ran a good ol' Lafayette Comstat 25B. It was the one with 11 tubes inside and I always felt they were trying to model it after the Courier 23 Plus. At one point I could have had a Tram D201 but unfortunately I didn't go for it and someone else grabbed it. After that I could have just run a Viking 2 with the VFO switched to 11 meters but by then I had a license so I ran it on 40, 80, and 160.
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.

Quote Originally Posted by n2ize View Post
    For many years I ran a good ol' Lafayette Comstat 25B. It was the one with 11 tubes inside and I always felt they were trying to model it after the Courier 23 Plus. At one point I could have had a Tram D201 but unfortunately I didn't go for it and someone else grabbed it. After that I could have just run a Viking 2 with the VFO switched to 11 meters but by then I had a license so I ran it on 40, 80, and 160.
    I had the Comstat 25A which I got used from a good friend. He did a black crackle paint job that really looked good. That radio could really get out and on cold nights, the tubes would keep you warm.

Used a LMS40(?) Which was a mobile SSB rig from Lafayette, made by Uniden I believe. Also a great unit. Picked it up for $100 when Lafayette closed up shop.
    “The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words."
    --Philip K. Dick

I used to work in a CB shop (of sorts) and I always liked the Uniden stuff (PLL-02A / uPD-858. Fairly nice design and easy to modify.

I liked the AM sound of the old Tram (tube series).

Cornell-Dubilier AM-only set - remember those?

3 meters plus RF, AF and IF Gain controls. The only other HF radios I'm aware of which brought everything out to the front panel in such a manner are the Swan/Cubic Astro 10x series.

My Royce 642 also has 3 meters. It also features an AGC selector on the front panel and AFAIK they're the only CB manufacturer ever to do so.

Someone mentioned Tram...those and the DAK Mark series sounded really good on AM, as long as you resisted temptation to crank 'em up in the power department. Though the final tubes would handle the increase, their B+ supplies and switching circuits wouldn't for long - and the DAK's modulation stage (transistorized) would often follow the supply out the door.

I "un-adjusted"/fixed quite a few of each. If the same radio came back to the bench more than twice, its owner was told to go elsewhere. Like to the truck stop which was moving -101s by the pallet load.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Quote Originally Posted by WØTKX View Post
    YA, FT-101.
    For Sale on 09/16/2012

80syaesu.jpg

Yaesu FT-101E 10-80 meters
    Matching Speaker
    Yaesu YC-601 Frequency Counter
    Shure 444D Microphone

Available at GCARA Hamfest in Cincinnati, Ohio

Banned

Good ole Hallicrafters CB. Can't beat that, unless you have an SX-88, I guess.

My FT-900AT does TX/RX from 1.8 to 30MHz. Mercy sakes.