Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I bought a Ham band Radio Control Transmitter/Receiver

Conch Master

I bought a Ham band Radio Control Transmitter/Receiver

I lucked into a cheap 6 Channel JR Maxcomputer TX and RX. All I got was the transmitter and receiver for $25.00. I always wanted to get into RC ships and/or submarines. Obviously, I need batteries, a charger and servos to make this thing useful. Before I invest any more money in this endeavor, does anybody know if this transmitter is still legal to operate? I know there is a little more freedom on the ham bands 50 MHz, then there is on 72 and 75 MHz. It does have a gold or silver inspection sticker on the back (R/CMA RFCHECK AMA then Date 07. The receiver is identified as an NER-627X, PCM G Series. Any info would be appreciated.
    Last edited by KK4AMI; 09-05-2012 at 02:17 PM.
    "Love Trumps Hate."
    "You Facist, Sexual Predator!"
    " I thought a lot about blowing up the White House"
    Uh Huh, What Love?

Should be okay. IIRC, the top end of 6m is the usual place for ham band RC activity. Remember to put your call sign on the transmitter.
    Last edited by NQ6U; 09-05-2012 at 02:23 PM.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ6BSO View Post
    Should be okay. IIRC, the top end of 6m is the usual place for ham band RC activity. Remember to put your call sign on the transmitter.
    And hang a black flag on the antenna.

Conch Master
    Thank you both and I will do the flag and placard.
    "Love Trumps Hate."
    Uh Huh, What Love?

SK Member (10/28/2012) - Island Prude
    Ham band R/C was less susceptible to interference from other transmitters than the bands around 70 MHz, but that advantage has dwindled with the emergence of the 2.4GHz spread-spectrum gear. But as long as it works, which you can test in the backyard or on the bench top, you're only a few servos aways from having a working system. Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by KG4CGC View Post
    And hang a black flag on the antenna.
    pirate flag.jpg
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL

Conch Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ab1ga View Post
    Ham band R/C was less susceptible to interference from other transmitters than the bands around 70 MHz, but that advantage has dwindled with the emergence of the 2.4GHz spread-spectrum gear. But as long as it works, which you can test in the backyard or on the bench top, you're only a few servos aways from having a working system. Have fun!

It is still an interference issue for subs. 2.4 GHz just bounces off the surface. 27, 50 and 75 are your only options for penetrating fresh water and then only down to about 6 ft. I like the flag, it has sort of a nautical motif.
    Last edited by KK4AMI; 09-05-2012 at 02:45 PM.
    "Love Trumps Hate."
    Uh Huh, What Love?

SK Member (10/28/2012) - Island Prude
    Quote Originally Posted by KK4AMI View Post
    It is still an interference issue for subs. 2.4 GHz just bounces off the surface. 27, 50 and 75 are your only options for penetrating fresh water and then only down to about 6 ft. I like the flag, it has sort of a nautical motif.
    R/C subs? Don't bother, build a micro-sub instead and experience the thrill first hand! :)

Forum Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by K7SGJ View Post
    Jim
    The machine does not isolate us from the great problems of nature but plunges us more deeply into them. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Forum Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by KK4AMI View Post
    Jim
    The machine does not isolate us from the great problems of nature but plunges us more deeply into them. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry