Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hams in the Scheme of Things to Come

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hams in the Scheme of Things to Come

I've thought about hams' place in the scheme of things for a long time, and today I've had some new thoughts I feel some urgency to share given the way our world is turning.

For the sake of discussion, let's filter out best we can politics, religion, economics, all the rhetorical angels and demons, and try focus on how our technical brother/sisterhood might be instrumental in preserving and protecting what's good about life --the core goodnesses that spring from sovereignty of the individual.

When, as Yeats described, "Things fall apart, the center cannot hold," when belief in central authority decays, regardless of political flavor, individuals need to stay in touch more than ever. The Net nourishes that need, but its feeding tubes can be selectively pinched, and its mains shut off, so it seems, with no more than a wink and a nod.

That leaves hundreds of thousands of individual ops with rigs and antennas...and not a few with off-grid power. Us. The donut eaters, the county hunters, me and you, as Mad Magazine once characterized its staff, the usual gang of idiots. For all the uninentional humor of "When All Else Fails," the goofy whacker hype seems, gasp!...true. Sure, central authority knows where we live. Sure, a burst of EMP here, a jammer there, you geeks can probably a supply a mile long list of how we all could be shut down -- and yes, I'm aware just how cheezy romantic and self-flattering such scenarios can be. But I'll bet effectively shutting us down...and, here's the kicker...plus individuals we empowered with hybrid hacked phones and tablets...might not be so easy. And right now, while our active numbers are legion and growing, there's still AC power and big bandwidth. Hmmm.

No, this is a not a call to soldering guns. I think this would happen organically. Just like gardners will garden, cooks will cook, hunters will put meat on the table and teachers will get back to A, B, and C. Our clan, I think, would communicate the info and inspiration we'd all need to share. Plus a lot of bullshit. Ain't nothin' new under this sun.

About those empowered individuals. Every new licensed ham is one of those. And if at some point, the FCC gets shed like a snakeskin, the brother and sisterhood would carry on, just like it did before the Federal Oligarchs muscled-in.

About those hybrid hacked radio phones and tablets. Now I'm moving from out of my depth to open ocean. I tried to think what could be done outside the internet, without cell towers, little radios networked independently, with current, familiar phones and tablets as the interface. I dunno. Perhaps your mind doesn't boggle.

Now I'll shut up. Burst my bubble, chime in, take the thread and run, please. Of all places to ask for incoming, this be the place.

Interesting. Let me give this some thought Jeff.

If you don't mind, I think this would make an interesting newsletter article.
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 300!!!!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Quote Originally Posted by W3WN View Post
    Interesting. Let me give this some thought Jeff.

If you don't mind, I think this would make an interesting newsletter article.
    Tnx! You're welcome to use/reference/sample.

The thing which you seek to describe is an Alternet.

Let it not touch the Internet directly, else it can be corrupted or controlled.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Somewhere between the Liberty Net and the Free Wheelers?
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

Quote Originally Posted by WØTKX View Post
    Somewhere between the Liberty Net and the Free Wheelers?
    Ten-forty (meters). ;)
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by N8YX View Post
    Ten-forty (meters). ;)
    Get into Form, Ten Forty.

"No, this is a not a call to soldering guns."
    I hope not, after burning holes in PC boards and my classic Weller getting stuck to PL-259s my soldering tools became a bit more specialized. Then there's THIS ham!

On edit: I'm wondering how the .gif image got screwed up here when it has a white background.

"I think this would happen organically."
    Would happen? Maybe you never heard of an antenna farm.

"...and teachers will get back to A, B, and C."
    Careful, that's an invitation to a political shit storm.

"Our clan, I think, would communicate the info and inspiration we'd all need to share. Plus a lot of bullshit."
    I'm sure you're talking about Misfit Island, but what we need is a callsign prefix and recognition as a DX entity.

"About those empowered individuals. Every new licensed ham is one of those."
    You'll find them on RadioReference dot com, I'll let you check them out for yourself and you just MIGHT end up thinking of ways to DEpower them.

"...the usual gang of idiots."
    I'm sure we all know where to find THEM.

"Of all places to ask for incoming, this be the place."
    Well, you did ask and now you're scratching your furry head trying to figure out which cheek my tongue is in or if I'm just being cheeky.
    Last edited by kb2vxa; 08-28-2012 at 06:31 PM. Reason: WTF?
    "The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA
    Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.

Quote Originally Posted by kb2vxa View Post
    "Of all places to ask for incoming, this be the place."
    Well, you did ask and now you're scratching your furry head trying to figure out which cheek my tongue is in or if I'm just being cheeky.
    Point-by-point, laser-guided, yet vaguely friendly fire. I expect nothing less from the valley of the the shadow of the Osprey Bar. HIHI Warren.

BTW, I still use the same Weller with which I built my Ocean Hopper 50 years ago. It's all but mummified in black electrical tape, but, knock on plastic wood, we both still work.

soldering.gif

Ten-40, Alternet, Free Wheelers, Liberty Net. Hmm. Hmm. Hmm. Did some links that were here last night go away? I couldn't get in to comment last night, was off site and forgot my durn password. Anyway, my silly scenarios aside, I'm curious if such "alernets" exist and what sort of technology is used. Could one have a automonous, decentralized yet national wireless HF/VHF network with enough oomph to handle pictures, maybe video? Something "self-healing," robust and smart enough to reroute around dead...nodes?....I don't savvy the lingo, never mind the hardware needed to support such a thing if it were possible. Two flavors I guess, one legal, using ham frequencies. Some, strictly playing what if here Big Sis -- extralegal, tucked in here and there along the RF spectrum as necessary.