Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Making Charcoal

Making Charcoal

Okay, to me a BBQ is more than just a BBQ. Not only do I hand select and hand cut my own meats from a butchers market but I store, prepare and age my cuts to produce the finest grade meats for outdoor BBQ. But it doesn't end there. Once the cuts are selected, cut, aged,m seasoned, cured, etc. then comes the charcoal. I pick my own grades of aged and seasoned hardwoods. Oak, maple, hickory mesquite, etc. and I order these hand picked woods to be made into charcoal specifying the temperature, dwell time, etc. All determined via years of experience to give the finest results in the world. Nothing but the finest goes into my griller or BBQ'ed meats/
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.

You, like Clapton, are GOD.
    "Friendships come in strange packages
    The best ones are opened with a smile"

NA4BH '15

I am whelmed.
    When the government's boot is on your throat, whether it is a left boot or a right boot is of no consequence. — GARY LLOYD

The nation we live in is the nation we have built by design, each successive generation raising the wall of tyranny a little higher. - Chris Griffin

I think he's full of shit. But what the hell, it's entertaining.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

They sell the shit at the Dollar General. Cheap.

I'm wondering how he ages his meat?

They have a pill for that.

NA4BH '15

Say... I'm in the market for a new smoker. Old one blew the propane regulator (seriously) and was getting pretty old anyway.

Budget is about a hunnert bucks.

Advice?

You looking definitely for a smoker?

Watch Lowes for year end sales on Char-Griller stuff. I bought the gas/charcoal/smoker thing, and am very impressed with it. All cooking modes. It's heavy made stuff and looks like it will last a long time with decent care. For smoking, I get my wood for smoking from Academy Sports. They have a nice selection of real wood chunks (cheap). Unless you want to make your own.

NA4BH '15

I grab the cheapest cut of charcoal steak I can get at the store, throw whatever hickory, maple, oak, or cherry I have leftover from work projects in the grill, and once it's reduced to a smouldering pile of coals, I burn that meat into a tasty, tasty pile of charred animal flesh and devour it like the carnivore I am. With a nice cold bottle of homebrewed beer.
    I am surprised at such a sudden deterioration in a woman whose only ailment was a lazy anus.

Quote Originally Posted by NA4BH View Post
    They sell the shit at the Dollar General. Cheap.

I'm wondering how he ages his meat?

They have a pill for that.
    Instead of "aging" I should have used the term "dwell time", the amount of time that I allow the meat to marinate in whatever home made BBQ sauce or flavouring is to be used. Often however when I am preparing prime steak I use no flavouring. Instead I allow the meat to fast grill to seal in the natural flavours and then a slower grilling to allow it to cook to the desired degree of tenderness and to allow the meat to pick up the flavourings from the wood. I uses sauces (i.e BBQ , etc.) mainly when I am making short ribs, prime ribs or spare ribs.

Quote Originally Posted by KC9ECI View Post
    I grab the cheapest cut of charcoal steak I can get at the store, throw whatever hickory, maple, oak, or cherry I have leftover from work projects in the grill, and once it's reduced to a smouldering pile of coals, I burn that meat into a tasty, tasty pile of charred animal flesh and devour it like the carnivore I am. With a nice cold bottle of homebrewed beer.
    Actually you can work wonders with inexpensive cuts.of meat.