Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I played around for a little while today, Started my Break Out Box.

I played around for a little while today, Started my Break Out Box.

I have several of those old printer A/B switches that I have been saving because they make good enclosures. I need to build a Break Out box so I can connect my Mic, Sound Card Interface, and foot switch to the 13 Pin DIN ACC connector on the back of my rig (Kenwood TS-570S).

Today I started my little project:

First I ripped the guts, out of it:

IMG_20120813_233514.jpg

Then I drilled holes for the various jacks I am going to put in this thing, carried it out to the garage, sanded it down and painted it flat black.

IMG_20120813_233459.jpgIMG_20120813_233546.jpg

I think maybe I'll choose a lighter color for the front.......

Plans are for 2, 1/4 inch phono jacks for mics, a 1/8 inch stereo phono jack for my Yamaha CM-500 headset, a 1/8 inch mono plug for PTT via my foot switch, 1/8 inch mono jack for Audio from my soundcard, 1/8 inch mono for audio back to the computer and 2, 1/8 mono jacks for external speaker audio.

I have no intention of getting in a hurry with this but in the next few days, I'll try to keep a running progress report going here.

Anybody have any ideas that would make my Break Out Box more useful, please share them.

"One man with courage makes a majority." ~ Andrew Jackson

Steve KA9MOT
    Macomb, IL

Nice reuse of old box. Add a few 220pF bypass caps across everything to rid yourself of picked up RF. Multiple audio ins and outs you can parallel up with 10k's in series to connect up all your radios at once. Then PTT you can select with a multiway switch :D

Needs a USB port.
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

Why do radio manufacturers never put audio in/out/ptt on standard phono sockets? I can understand the small ones not having them, but for large radios you are surely taking the piss kenwood/yaesu/icom etc

Quote Originally Posted by WØTKX View Post
    Needs a USB port.
    ....so you can power your whole radio off it

Quote Originally Posted by mw0uzo View Post
    Why do radio manufacturers never put audio in/out/ptt on standard phono sockets? I can understand the small ones not having them, but for large radios you are surely taking the piss kenwood/yaesu/icom etc
    I'd like to see the use of XLR connectors and balanced audio line.

A USB charging port or two would be easier than a hub...
    Last edited by WØTKX; 08-14-2012 at 05:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mw0uzo View Post
    Good idea! I have some RCA Phono jacks I can throw in the rear... Maybe 4. 2 for audio in and 2 for audio out.

Steve KA9MOT
    Macomb, IL

Quote Originally Posted by WØTKX View Post
    I'd like to see the use of XLR connectors and balanced audio line.
    I have a couple of XLR jacks I can include. My mic uses XLR and of course that is balanced, but the rig wants to see unbalanced.

I managed to find a used Behringer Pre-Amp with Phantom Power cheap to replace the homebrewed set-up I have now that is messed up and I don't trust it anymore. The pre-amp is coming with a couple of cables and I know that one is a XLR to XLR and the other is XLR to 1/4" Phono. I'm waiting to see exactly what I am getting before I proceed further.

This whole studio mic thing is a learning experience for me.... and now Bob Heil says I need a mixer......... I guess I'll have to start saving my pennies now.

BTW, deal of the day..... Musicians Friend has this boom http://www.musiciansfriend.com/acces...om?src=3TEMORD for $26 with free shipping! I jumped all over that.....

Mic Boom 1.jpgMicBoom2.jpg

I need to mount it lower on my shelving unit. There is plenty of adjustment, but it is just not quite right where it is mounted now.

OH Yeah! That cheap $1 computer mic? That is the one that is hooked to my rig. I get all kinds of unsolicited "great audio" reports with it.
    Last edited by KA9MOT; 08-15-2012 at 12:42 PM.

Steve KA9MOT
    Macomb, IL

I almost forgot..... all of the activity in the shack attracted the attention of the Boss.....

Oliver.jpg

Steve KA9MOT
    Macomb, IL

My comment about XLR was for ham rigs in general, not your project. Do you have an audio "style" mixer? If not, skip it.

Going from balanced to unbalanced is useful, but there is an expense that you probably don't need or want.
    However, balanced line tends to eliminate RF and hum issues... a lot easier to deal with if/when it happens.