Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone know a good tomato juice recipe?

Silent Key Member 5-25-2015 W1GUH's Avatar

Anyone know a good tomato juice recipe?

I've tried this one. It's good...it grows on me & I sometimes can't stop drinking it but nevertheless it's missing something, don't know what, so I'm still looking for one I like a little better.

I'd attempt homemade V8 juice, but so far the only recipes I've found require a juicer, and those are big $$$$$$.

This is the recipe I got a food mill for. The one I got works very well and I'm looking forward to using it lots. Does a good job pureeing what I've done so far.
    If it's a war on drugs, then free the POW's.

Try about a half dozen drops of Tabasco.
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL

Sure wish I could -- and maybe soon I can again. For the present I can't do hot stuff -- hurts my mouth too much.

Quote Originally Posted by W1GUH View Post
    Sure wish I could -- and maybe soon I can again. For the present I can't do hot stuff -- hurts my mouth too much.

I didn't know about that. Hope you heal soon. However, with the recipe size of 1/2 gallon, I doubt it would increase the Scoville level much, but it might enhance the taste. Maybe if you cut the pepper a scosche, and add a wee bit of Tabasco, it wouldn't be a problem. You might try 3 drops and give it a go. But I guess that's easy for me to say.

Been thinking along those lines. Fact is, it's not all spicy foods that do it. I'm going to try a jalepeno (or a tiny piece of one) soon. Happily, Wasabi is actually do-able, so...here's hoping!

What does drive it crazy is carbonation.

Tweaked the recipe and it's better. Doubled the onion and celery and increased the sugar to 2 tbsp. That was too much sugar for my tastes, so next time I'll on use one. This, of course, is entirely a matter of individual taste.

The texture came out a lot better, too, but because of my bad with the first batch. Didn't have a food mill then so I tried using a pasta colander. The holes in that were too big and let all the seeds through; that's when I got the food mill to fix it up. This time it was direct to the food mill and the texture came out almost perfect.

And with this batch, it looks like I had seedless tomatoes. There were none. Didn't know that you could get sensimilla tomatioes!

Quote Originally Posted by W1GUH View Post
    The texture came out a lot better, too, but because of my bad with the first batch. Didn't have a food mill then so I tried using a pasta colander. The holes in that were too big and let all the seeds through; that's when I got the food mill to fix it up. This time it was direct to the food mill and the texture came out almost perfect.

And with this batch, it looks like I had seedless tomatoes. There were none. Didn't know that you could get sensimilla tomatioes!
    Paul, wander into a local antique/flea market type store, and look for a kitchen gadget that looks like a cone with little holes in it. The ones I've seen were about 8-10" tall, and maybe 6" diameter at the big end. Combine that with a pestle and you should be good to go.
    When the government's boot is on your throat, whether it is a left boot or a right boot is of no consequence. — GARY LLOYD

The nation we live in is the nation we have built by design, each successive generation raising the wall of tyranny a little higher. - Chris Griffin

Quote Originally Posted by W5GA View Post
    Paul, wander into a local antique/flea market type store, and look for a kitchen gadget that looks like a cone with little holes in it. The ones I've seen were about 8-10" tall, and maybe 6" diameter at the big end. Combine that with a pestle and you should be good to go.
    Thanks. And while I'm at that local antique/flea market type store, I'll look for that Johnson 500 "junk" that someone wants $25.00 for!

This is what they look like:

antique strainer.jpg

But I think your new crank unit will be a little more efficient.

Hard to say. Takes a lot of cranking and scraping. Not hard, just gets a little tedious.