Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I Joined A Symphony Orchestra

I Joined A Symphony Orchestra

So I finally decided to make a contribution to the arts. Last week I had my first rehearsal with a new symphony orchestra that I recently joined. Okay, it is an local amateur symphony orchestra. But they do sound really good, they do give concerts, and they are playing some rather challenging pieces of music. For example, in tomorrows rehearsal we will be playing Beethoven's Symphony #7 in A Major, Gustav Mahler's Kindertotenlieder, among other compositions. The skil levels of the orchestra members varies tremendously, from some highly skilled musicians to people who haven't played since they were kids, to people like myself, who can play but can also stand a lot of improvement, to rank beginners. The nice thing is that the music we are playing is not watered down in any way shape or form, The music that sits on the stands of our orchestra is the same music that is on the stands of professional symphony orchestras and can be quite challenging to try to play, particularly for me. Some of us can play all the notes, and others only a few of them For example while rehearsing Mozart's Symphony # 40 (playing second violin part) I found myself playing a few measures at times and other times getting totally lost and ending up putting the instrument down and just trying to follow the music while listening to others play. Our next rehearsal is tomorrow evening. Hopefully I will be able to play along a bit more. But as our conductor said, "just play whatever you can, even if it is just a little bit".

In any event here is a link to our orchestra It gives a basic idea of who we are and the stuff we are playing, or, in the case of a few of us... trying to play. :) No I am not in any of the pictures..yet.

http://www.newsymphony.org/
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.

Neato! Makes me want to try the violin again. I'd love to 'eff with an electric one.

I just don't know if my mildly crippled bow hand (right) could do it. $80 on Amazon!

Last edited by WØTKX; 07-30-2012 at 02:40 PM.
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

And here I thought you guys only fiddled with radios. Who knew?
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL

They should conduct themselves accordingly.
    "Friendships come in strange packages
    The best ones are opened with a smile"

NA4BH '15

And on a sour note, I once contemplated playing with my instrument.
    When the government's boot is on your throat, whether it is a left boot or a right boot is of no consequence. — GARY LLOYD

The nation we live in is the nation we have built by design, each successive generation raising the wall of tyranny a little higher. - Chris Griffin

Quote Originally Posted by WØTKX View Post
    Neato! Makes me want to try the violin again. I'd love to 'eff with an electric one.

I just don't know if my mildly crippled bow hand (right) could do it. $80 on Amazon!

By all means have a go at it.

There are a ,lot of people experimenting with and playing the electrics these days. Not so much in the classical/orchestral arena but in country, folk, jazz, rock, and other genres they have gained a lot of popularity. Matter of fact I wouldn't mind trying an electric one of these days. There is a lot of talk about them on several of the violin/fiddler forums I visit.
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.

Banned
    Before I get started here, I will have to bow out. Congrats on the new status, John.

Quote Originally Posted by W5GA View Post
    And on a sour note, I once contemplated playing with my instrument.
    I'm opposed to sex and violins in the performing arts.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by KJ6BSO View Post
    I'm opposed to sex and violins in the performing arts.
    What about cello pudding?