Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Completely homebrew cheap MOSFET amplifier 300W

Completely homebrew cheap MOSFET amplifier 300W

Got another amplifier project on the go to learn more about them, this time made completely from scratch.It uses 8 x IRF520N mosfets and works up to 20m and will deliver a significant amount of power. Its designed for 250W, but I have had over 400W out of it!!

View of completed module

Drilled heatsink, nicked from an old audio amplifier. And thermal pads.

Underside of amplifier

Start of development of amplifier controller

The amp has an RX/TX circuit on there so is usable at the moment with a suitable LPF for the band required. Developing a controller with ADCs etc for monitoring SWR and current and TX sequencing. Once tested and working with this smaller amp, it will be used to control the big EB104.

Output transformer is made from ferrites that were clipped to power leads in a dead switch mode audio amp.

It runs off any voltage up to 30V, 24V has been chosen for high power mobile use at 300W. At 13.8V, over 100W of power is available up to 20m.

Total cost very low, £50?
    Last edited by mw0uzo; 07-25-2012 at 09:05 AM.

PM me if interested in the circuit diagrams :)

Very cool!

"One man with courage makes a majority." ~ Andrew Jackson

Steve KA9MOT
    Macomb, IL

Banned
    With so many transistors, are there issues with phasing them optimally?

Quote Originally Posted by X-Rated View Post
    With so many transistors, are there issues with phasing them optimally?
    Just make sure they're all from the same batch. I have not seen any signs of one device conducting harder than the rest.

For reliable operation up to 30V, use an output transformer secondary of 3 turns. For low voltage e.g. 14v, high power operation use 4 turns then you can get 200w+ out at 13.8V.

The voltage limit is 30V due to use of a 5V regulator (35V max) in the bias circuit.
    Last edited by mw0uzo; 07-23-2012 at 03:17 PM.

Gain is in no way flat ... for 5w in, 300w out operation up to 20m I have had to include a switchable first order high-pass filter in the input attenuator. Not perfect, but it works :)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mw0uzo View Post
    Just make sure they're all from the same batch. I have not seen any signs of one device conducting harder than the rest.

For reliable operation up to 30V, use an output transformer secondary of 3 turns. For low voltage e.g. 14v, high power operation use 4 turns then you can get 200w+ out at 13.8V.

The voltage limit is 30V due to use of a 5V regulator (35V max) in the bias circuit.
    Beyond matching the transistors from the same batch, I was concerned about matching the phase inputs to the transistors as well. I am not sure what the schematic looks like on this thing, but the phase delays that occur will naturally be more obvious at the higher frequencies.

Quote Originally Posted by mw0uzo View Post
    Got another amplifier project on the go to learn more about them, this time made completely from scratch.It uses 8 x IRF520N mosfets and works up to 20m and will deliver a significant amount of power. Its designed for 250W, but I have had over 400W out of it!!

View of completed module

Drilled heatsink, nicked from an old audio amplifier. And thermal pads.

Underside of amplifier

Start of development of amplifier controller

The amp has an RX/TX circuit on there so is usable at the moment with a suitable LPF for the band required. Developing a controller with ADCs etc for monitoring SWR and current and TX sequencing. Once tested and working with this smaller amp, it will be used to control the big EB104.

Output transformer is made from ferrites that were clipped to power leads in a dead switch mode audio amp.

It runs off any voltage up to 30V, 24V has been chosen for high power mobile use at 300W. At 13.8V, over 100W of power is available up to 20m.

Total cost very low, £50?
    Is it Linear? If so, is it class E?

Quote Originally Posted by X-Rated View Post
    Beyond matching the transistors from the same batch, I was concerned about matching the phase inputs to the transistors as well. I am not sure what the schematic looks like on this thing, but the phase delays that occur will naturally be more obvious at the higher frequencies.
    I don't know. It's not really usable above 18Mhz. I have been trying to increase the frequency response but not got further than that. Any tips would be most welcome!!

Quote Originally Posted by NY3V View Post
    Is it Linear? If so, is it class E?
    Its class AB, linearity seems to be ok - it transmits SSB nice and clean with no splatter :)
    Last edited by mw0uzo; 07-23-2012 at 05:41 PM.

My rough design notes:

Questions or suggestions for improvements welcome :)