Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: Migrating to SSL (Encrypted) only access...

Quote Originally Posted by KB3LAZ View Post
    I have to ask, why a KF? From my understand and research they are rather limited in what they can and can not do. For a slightly higher price you can get a Tab that also functions as an eReader.

Just curious.

I know for a long time I have been anti Cellphone, anti tab, anti reader but as time progresses the ease of this device seems to be something that will actually be of use. Not so much as a PC replacement but as I now use public transport and have a lot of boring meetings I go to where I have to sit around for hours on end, it would help pass the time.

Wut, wait... The Fire IS an eReader (really, that's its primary function). It's not the best tablet PC out there, but when we got ours (have 2), it was about the cheapest, and it automatically ties into your Kindle account. That was a plus here; we must have 100-150 books on Kindle now and they're all shareable between the devices.

It's a hobbled Android device with no camera and no cell connectivity (obviously, no phone), but works quite well for what it is. Runs apps (just not from Android Market), surfs the web (but forget using it to reply on Ham Island). So yeah, hobbled a bit.

That said, I'd probably look around (again) if I was in the market today. A lot of price drops in the tablet market, and any of these will play eReader. When I get a chance, I want to dig into hacking mine into a true Android tablet. I hear it's been done. Out of the box, Amazon controls the Fire and it seems like a lot of cool Android stuff just isn't available for the Fire because of this.

Yeah, I can't understand why someone would buy a Fire and not a Galaxy Tab.. especially now that they're price matched.

Quote Originally Posted by kf0rt View Post
    Wut, wait... The Fire IS an eReader (really, that's its primary function). It's not the best tablet PC out there, but when we got ours (have 2), it was about the cheapest, and it automatically ties into your Kindle account. That was a plus here; we must have 100-150 books on Kindle now and they're all shareable between the devices.

It's a hobbled Android device with no camera and no cell connectivity (obviously, no phone), but works quite well for what it is. Runs apps (just not from Android Market), surfs the web (but forget using it to reply on Ham Island). So yeah, hobbled a bit.

That said, I'd probably look around (again) if I was in the market today. A lot of price drops in the tablet market, and any of these will play eReader. When I get a chance, I want to dig into hacking mine into a true Android tablet. I hear it's been done. Out of the box, Amazon controls the Fire and it seems like a lot of cool Android stuff just isn't available for the Fire because of this.
    Yes, I know it is an eReader, that was my point. =) Tablets have the capability of functioning like an eReader and more. As Jeff said, these days the price of a Galaxy is pretty matched.

I didnt know you got it before the price match. =P

"A night sky full of cries. Hearts filled with lies. The contract: is it worth the price?"

Quote Originally Posted by KB3LAZ View Post
    Yes, I know it is an eReader, that was my point. =) Tablets have the capability of functioning like an eReader and more. As Jeff said, these days the price of a Galaxy is pretty matched.

I didnt know you got it before the price match. =P

In a weak moment, I bought it on pre-order before they were available. Probably wouldn't make the same decision today. The Fire does quite a lot on it's own though, but the tablet stuff has changed a lot in a year and the Fire isn't as viable as it used to be.

Price match?

Quote Originally Posted by kf0rt View Post
    In a weak moment, I bought it on pre-order before they were available. Probably wouldn't make the same decision today. The Fire does quite a lot on it's own though, but the tablet stuff has changed a lot in a year and the Fire isn't as viable as it used to be.

Price match?
    I just mean that the price difference is no longer astounding.

"A night sky full of cries. Hearts filled with lies. The contract: is it worth the price?"

FYI - I made a slight change to how the SSL was working. No one should notice, but if you do.. say something. Thanks! :0

This is a neat site, there's scripts that do this.. but this is handy if you don't have all that setup.

https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/anal....hamisland.net

Quote Originally Posted by W4GPL View Post
    This is a neat site, there's scripts that do this.. but this is handy if you don't have all that setup.

https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/anal....hamisland.net
    What's that BEAST Attack thing?
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/09...ts_paypal_ssl/

It's not too much to worry about... there's ways to prevent it, but a lot of people don't dig RC4.. so the option is a rather obscure and difficult interception of data or using a possibly less secure encryption cipher. Pick your poison at the moment.. TLS 1.1 is coming quick. It's already in most browsers up stream..