Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My time to decide between a Canon vs Nikon grows short

My time to decide between a Canon vs Nikon grows short

I want to replace my Canon Rebel, and I need to do it before my wife closes the business at the end of the year. In the past, I always tended to lean towards Pentax, at least in the days of film. I never had a problem with any of them. Right now, I also have several PS Canon Elphs that I like for quickie shots of the dogs or the wildlife that shows up unannounced around here. I had a Canon AE-1 when it came on the market, and it was nice, too. It had many nice features. But with the advent of digital, and digital DSLR, I have used nothing but Canon. But now, I am looking pretty hard at the Nikon D7000, but I don't know of anyone that has any knowledge of it, other than internet feedback and hype from people I don't know. Then, there is the Canon 5D. Again, I know of no one with hands on experience.

While I am not a professional photographer, I enjoy doing creative things, and it's nice to have the tools that will do whatever I want to do, and both of the above seem to be comparable in features. Accessories abound for both, and there are a slop[jar full of after market goodies for both. I will keep the rebel in the truck all the time, except in 120 degree weather, for those unexpected photo ops, but for hard core setups and deliberate captures during trips or other excursions, I would like the enhanced capabilities of one of the newer cameras.

Do any of you have any first hand knowledge of either, had any hands on, or have any insight? Or maybe there is something else out there I should look at.
    Thanks

click click
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL

I've been using a Nikon D50 for 6 years. Wish I could tell you more about the new stuff especially when it comes to build quality. Both brands take GREAT pictures until you get anally hung up on subatomic micro fractured pixel count on a fractal and subfractal level. Generally speaking though, the smaller pixel count these days is 14 MPxls.

At my age, I doubt I'll do much fracting any more, but there is hope: and you know, pix or it didn't happen.

Rob has a couple of newer models. What say you, Rob?

Do you have much of a lens investment in Canon?

My advice to newbs on DSLRs is to try both Canon and Nikon hands-on and see which works best for you. They handle differently and some folks have a strong preference one way or another. You may find that you like the Canon better. I prefer Nikon (hands down). I have used a 5D (MK II) and own a D7000 (and a D80). They all do a fantastic job, so for me it mostly boils down to ergonomics (how fast can I set this thing up to get the shot).

I think it's somewhat important to pick a system and stick with it just because of the lens expense. Also, be aware that the 5D is full frame while the D7000 is a DX sensor camera. A better comparison might be the D7000 and the Canon 7D. The 5D is a class above this (as evidenced by the price). The 5D competes with the Nikon D800 these days. This all has lens ramifications because of the sensor size. DX lenses are generally cheaper, but not well suited to FF bodies. FF lenses work great on DX bodies, though.

That said, I love the D7000. Got it about a year and a half ago and it's probably as much camera as I'll ever need. It's also at about my limit price-wise.

You really can't go wrong with any of these from a photographic standpoint -- they're all excellent. That's why "user preference" gets the nod here. Go with what feels more natural to you. I've found that with Canon, I have to "fiddle" to find stuff, but with the Nikon, it's all right there. Other people say just the opposite. My 35mm film background was mostly Pentax. All of my P&S cameras are Canon, though. Love that S95. ;)

I'd even suggest looking at the next line down from the D7000 / D7. The Nikon D5100 is a great camera (same sensor as the D7000). The new Canon T4i looks like it'd be worth consideration, too.

Quote Originally Posted by KG4CGC View Post
    I've been using a Nikon D50 for 6 years. Wish I could tell you more about the new stuff especially when it comes to build quality. Both brands take GREAT pictures until you get anally hung up on subatomic micro fractured pixel count on a fractal and subfractal level. Generally speaking though, the smaller pixel count these days is 14 MPxls.
    The D50 is what hooked me on Nikon. Great camera.

Here's an HDR shot from the D7000 taken last Thursday afternoon in Rocky Mountain National Park. Three bracketed shots (+/- 1.7 stops) handheld with the 18-105mm "kit" lens. HDR processed in Photomatix.

Last edited by kf0rt; 07-08-2012 at 10:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kf0rt View Post
    Do you have much of a lens investment in Canon?

My advice to newbs on DSLRs is to try both Canon and Nikon hands-on and see which works best for you. They handle differently and some folks have a strong preference one way or another. You may find that you like the Canon better. I prefer Nikon (hands down). I have used a 5D (MK II) and own a D7000 (and a D80). They all do a fantastic job, so for me it mostly boils down to ergonomics (how fast can I set this thing up to get the shot).

I think it's somewhat important to pick a system and stick with it just because of the lens expense. Also, be aware that the 5D is full frame while the D7000 is a DX sensor camera. A better comparison might be the D7000 and the Canon 7D. The 5D is a class above this (as evidenced by the price). The 5D competes with the Nikon D800 these days. This all has lens ramifications because of the sensor size. DX lenses are generally cheaper, but not well suited to FF bodies. FF lenses work great on DX bodies, though.

That said, I love the D7000. Got it about a year and a half ago and it's probably as much camera as I'll ever need. It's also at about my limit price-wise.

You really can't go wrong with any of these from a photographic standpoint -- they're all excellent. That's why "user preference" gets the nod here. Go with what feels more natural to you. I've found that with Canon, I have to "fiddle" to find stuff, but with the Nikon, it's all right there. Other people say just the opposite. My 35mm film background was mostly Pentax. All of my P&S cameras are Canon, though. Love that S95. ;)

I'd even suggest looking at the next line down from the D7000 / D7. The Nikon D5100 is a great camera (same sensor as the D7000). The new Canon T4i looks like it'd be worth consideration, too.
    Fortunately, the lens situation isn't a deciding factor, yet. Like I said, my wife and I were Pentax fan early on, and had/have pretty much every lens imaginable, along with several bodies, auto winders, etc. A lot of good that does us now. I shot a lot of shit for the TV station I worked at back then. Free film and developing for company and personal use, what a deal. But I digress. That's why I need to decide which way to go now because I don't want to be invested in one or the other, and then decide to switch. To be honest, as much as I like Canon, and have been totaly happy with their product, I really am leaning towards the D7000. Maybe it's just because I want to try something different; I don't know. Between you and a couple of others I know with them, I don't think I will be disappointed, and, the learning curve shouldn't be that steep. Familiarization with the product is the main thing, and fortunately, it doesn't have to be done at the expense film/developing. As far as the T4 goes, I've looked at it, but would like a little more than it offers. I have a T3 which is okay, and it has served me well, but again, it is lacking. For everyday, leave it on the table, for that quick shot P&S, the Canon SX210 has been a nice little unit, with lots of nice features. We've used the hell out of it.

The Nikon, before additional lens and accessories is pretty near what I have to spend, and appears to have everything I need now or could want in the future. I guess what I'm looking for, is someone to give me a good reason NOT to go with the Nikon, but I doubt that's going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by kf0rt View Post
    Here's an HDR shot from the D7000 taken last Thursday afternoon in Rocky Mountain National Park. Three bracketed shots (+/- 1.7 stops) handheld with the 18-105mm "kit" lens. HDR processed in Photomatix.

Very nice. I would be quite happy with that.

Quote Originally Posted by K7SGJ View Post
    The Nikon, before additional lens and accessories is pretty near what I have to spend, and appears to have everything I need now or could want in the future. I guess what I'm looking for, is someone to give me a good reason NOT to go with the Nikon, but I doubt that's going to happen.
    You'll love the D7000, Eddie. ;) It's relatively easy to use in the first place and there's not much learning curve if you've already used a digital SLR. The D7000 has about 10 billion settings, but an auto mode that actually works. I've found myself hooked on the "User" settings. Have U1 set for general purpose outdoor use. Aperture priority, ISO 200. U2 is the same thing, but bracketed for HDR (seem to be playing with that a bit). Flip it to U2 and set the shutter to high speed and it takes three shots real fast. Well built camera and it feels good in my fat hands -- it's got a lot of weather sealing that doesn't exist in lower models. Also love the dual memory slots and the fact that the battery lasts forever.

Now, about lenses....