Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: My time to decide between a Canon vs Nikon grows short

Quote Originally Posted by W3WN View Post
    I don't have a DSLR (yet), but I've had a lot of success with the little Canon Powershot SX-120 we picked up a few years ago. While not a professional-level camera, for most of what I do, it's performed well above & beyond.

Good choice, Ron. I use mid-level Nikon DSLR gear, well... because photography is a family hobby that goes back decades.

The little point and shoot cameras these days are quite good (excellent, when compared to their film counterparts). No reason at all to change if you like the results you're getting.

Silent Key Member 5-25-2015 W1GUH's Avatar
    Been a Canon fanatic since '75, so I'm not exactly dispassionate here, but here goes....

I've had a few Canon digitals (my last film camera was an A-1) and they've all been superb with what they did. All except the last two were point and shoots; models were S330 (2002), S400 (2004), S700 (2007), SX-100 (2008 ) and a G10 (also 2008 when I lost the G-10.)

The SLR's I've had are Albie's old Rebel (vintage 2002) which induced me to get the T3i just after the holidays when there were GOOD sales on them.

I LOVE that camera and it does everything well...but that's probably generally known. What I have to add is that ALL of those Canons were superb at focusing, exposing, and image processing, and that's been what I consider to be the hallmark of Canon cameras. I never used a Nikon and it's probable that if it had been a Nikon I started with I'd be singing the same praises about them. Guess this is a long-winded re-hash of the "try 'em both, see which one fits better in your hands and which one has what you think are the most convenient and intuitive creative-control functions. For example, with the T3i, menu access isn't necessary for most shooting. I'd guess the Nikons are the same.

On to supplied software. Canons come with a suite that's pretty complete. I mostly use Digital Photo Professional for it's batch processing in converting Canon's RAW format (.CR2) to .tif files. Again, though, I'd guess that Nikon has the same.

Do have to admit, though, that Canon never had a pop song written about it and Kodachrome! Well, TS...Kodachrome doesn't exist anyore, so there! But there is the Pachebel can(n)on - that might count?

One more point...you didn't say whch "Rebel" you're replacing. but it seems obvious it's a film camera? Could be that if you're used to that a digital Rebel (T3i or the new T4i?) will feel very familiar to you.

Enjoy!
    If it's a war on drugs, then free the POW's.

Ran across this today. Some really cool pix.

Damn. Having a problem with the link. Details to follow, film at ten. I hope.

Shit, never mind....................
    Last edited by K7SGJ; 08-03-2012 at 01:35 PM.
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL

Just did, thank you very much. It was a good one. Thought you'd like to know....

Quote Originally Posted by W1GUH View Post
    Just did, thank you very much. It was a good one. Thought you'd like to know....
    No sweat. I'll forward some more. Wasn't the lighting and composition great? Ya bastid

Oh....wasn't talking about the site you couldn't link to. I'd just come from the bank.....as in "no safer deposit."

Quote Originally Posted by W1GUH View Post
    Oh....wasn't talking about the site you couldn't link to. I'd just come from the bank.....as in "no safer deposit."
    Damn, retired and STILL got money?

Didn't say I was depositing money. Oh, OK, I see I'm being far too obtuse here...I'd just come from taking a shit. You told us to, and I was reporting I just did. There...straightened that out.

You're a regular Rembrant. I like the way you used the corn for texture. ;)
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

The peanuts are a nice touch, too.