Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tower

SK Member 8/11/2015

Tower

I have put up a new tower,this tower dosen't have a center section on it so no hole for the pipe.My question is what would be the best way to add a pipe for my rotor?I'll need to be able to push it up and down without to much trouble.

Banned
    Pictures or it didn't happen.

SK Member 8/11/2015
    Sorry I don't have the means to post a pic,I'll try and get kk4icv to come over and post one for me.It's a three leg tower.

How big/tall is the tower? Ground mount or roof mount? How big is the antenna? What are the specs on the push up pole. We need a little "critical" info in order to try to help you out.
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by K7SGJ View Post
    How big/tall is the tower? Ground mount or roof mount? How big is the antenna? What are the specs on the push up pole. We need a little "critical" info in order to try to help you out.
    Thanks. You said that more nicely than I did.

Quote Originally Posted by X-Rated View Post
    Thanks. You said that more nicely than I did.
    I didn't think you were un-nice. Actually, pix would be a mega plus.

I have a sneaking hunch that your tower may not have a 'top section' ... such as one of these:
    Rohn 25AG1.jpg
    So, if that is the case, you have two choices:

(1) Acquire a top section
    (2) Get a flat plate with a thrust bearing in it to mount across the top.

Do you know what make/model the tower is?
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 300!!!!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Quote Originally Posted by W3WN View Post
    I have a sneaking hunch that your tower may not have a 'top section' ... such as one of these:
    Rohn 25AG1.jpg
    So, if that is the case, you have two choices:

(1) Acquire a top section
    (2) Get a flat plate with a thrust bearing in it to mount across the top.

Do you know what make/model the tower is?
    My first look at that, and all I could think of was putting a few Jetex engines on the legs.

SK Member 8/11/2015
    Right it dosen't have that top section.I have the top of the legs sealed with plugs. It's about 17' high. It will have a rotor and three element 10 meter beam attached.I have several poles I can use. I want to get the pole as high as possable and still be self standing.

If it's a normal 3 legged tower, such as Rohn 25 (that's a Rohn 25 type top section in Ron's diagram), it's not meant to be self supporting even with nothing put on top. Add a pipe and a yagi, and you're courting disaster. It will need at least 1 set of guys to keep it vertical.

Now, at the top of the top section, are the legs tapered or not? If not, then you've got some work to do in order to use a top section like the one shown or the other kind that accepts a thrust bearing. If you can't get a tower section like this, then you'll have to custom make or have custom made a rotor shelf and some sort of top plate to hold the pipe. If you aren't good with that sort of fab work, a standard Rohn rotor shelf may help out. But you'll still need some sort of plate for the top...the rotor shelf would normally sit down inside the tower about 3 feet.

I sure hope you aren't using water pipe, as it will fold up like a pretzel with a small antenna on it and a moderate wind.
    When the government's boot is on your throat, whether it is a left boot or a right boot is of no consequence. — GARY LLOYD

The nation we live in is the nation we have built by design, each successive generation raising the wall of tyranny a little higher. - Chris Griffin