Thread: CO's amateur radio operators fill-in wildfire radio gaps...

CO's amateur radio operators fill-in wildfire radio gaps...

Since Saturday, he has been managing operators staffing eight-hour shifts around the clock. They're doing such things as setting up portable radio repeaters and relaying messages between the fire lines and command posts. About 40 operators have volunteered.

A 5:15 a.m. phone call Sunday asked amateur radio operator Randy Long to find more volunteers to aid communication in the High Park fire zone — and warned him to evacuate his home.

Long, an Amateur Radio Emergency Service coordinator for Larimer and Weld counties, fled his house southeast of Buckhorn Mountain and started rallying more licensed ham operators to work the fire.

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_20852619/colorados-amateur-radio-operators-fill-wildfire-coverage-gaps

And at least they're modest: "We're kind of the unsung heroes," said Robert Wareham, Colorado section emergency coordinator.

Up until that last sentence, all notions of "jump teams" were absent from my mind.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Orca Whisperer
    Ugh...

Good on them for helping in a time of need, but geebus man. If you aren't out there huffing smoke through a breather mask, you aren't a "hero".
    Big Giant Meteor 2020 - We need to make Earth Great Again

http://www.coreyreichle.com

Almost. Almost made it through to the end without....awww geeez.

"Bacon, Beans and Limousines"
    "Actually, it's a Democratic Republic; Democratic comes first".
    Please don't confuse my personality with my attitude. My personality is obviously me, But my attitude depends largely upon you.

Aw, nuts. A flourescent green ARES hat and vest, and an attempt to look 'cool' in those shades. Looks like a whacker.

(At least the hat and jacket appear 'clean' -- as in recently laundered, unlike some of the local whackers I could name)
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 2K!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Quote Originally Posted by KC2UGV View Post
    Ugh...

Good on them for helping in a time of need, but geebus man. If you aren't out there huffing smoke through a breather mask, you aren't a "hero".
    Don't bet on it. One of my heroes was a little old white haired lady that came up to me one night with a cup of coffee so thin you could see the bottom of the cup through it. I don't think I've had a better cup of coffee or a more well timed cup of coffee. It was so cold that my boots literally froze to the ground if I stopped moving for more than a few seconds. Heroes are everywhere.
    I am surprised at such a sudden deterioration in a woman whose only ailment was a lazy anus.

Quote Originally Posted by KC9ECI View Post
    Don't bet on it. One of my heroes was a little old white haired lady that came up to me one night with a cup of coffee so thin you could see the bottom of the cup through it. I don't think I've had a better cup of coffee or a more well timed cup of coffee. It was so cold that my boots literally froze to the ground if I stopped moving for more than a few seconds. Heroes are everywhere.
    I like the way you think, Tom. ;)