Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Power Supplies

Power Supplies

I was looking to get a bigger power supply. Several people have told me to stay away from switching supplies and only use regulated supplies. And vice versa some people have told me the opposite. I was just wondering what is your opinion and experience with them. I have also had several people reccommend these power supplies to me they use them and have had no problems. Here is a link to the one that is being reccommended:
    http://www.409shop.com/409shop_product.php?id=102771

They are certainly a good price. I just dont know.
    Thanks,
    Daniel
    KK4ICV

Cheap switchers make noise, better ones don't or a least let you "shift" the hash noise frequency. All power supplies for ham radio use are regulated, non-switchers need a bigger transformer. A used non-switcher is a good bet, might need the electrolytic caps replaced. I'd look on your local Craigslist for a good used one.

For the short term, you can use a lower wattage cheapie if you turn the transmit power down on the radio. Some people have had luck combining or bridging throw away computer supplies, but they tend to be noisy. If you have a good car battery, use that, and charge it when you don't have the radio on.
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

I see a lot of cheap Chinese crap on that site. I prefer to stick to name brands like Alinco, Astron, etc. Never "cheap out" where it counts.

In order of preference for switching power supplies:

1) Alinco DM-330MVT
    2) Astron SS-30
    3) MFJ-4245MV

I have all 3. I can detect no RFI from any of them.
    "People Who Don't Want Their Beliefs Laughed at Shouldn't Have Such Funny Beliefs" -AD5MB

"If someone tells you he believes in and talks to an invisible bunny named Harvey, you put him on medication and a regimen of therapy. If someone tells you he believes in and talks to God, well, that's perfectly acceptable. Why that's the case is impossible for me to fathom." - WP2XX

Latest ClubLog entries.

Quote Originally Posted by WØTKX View Post
    Cheap switchers make noise, better ones don't or a least let you "shift" the hash noise frequency. All power supplies for ham radio use are regulated, non-switchers need a bigger transformer. A used non-switcher is a good bet, might need the electrolytic caps replaced. I'd look on your local Craigslist for a good used one.

For the short term, you can use a lower wattage cheapie if you turn the transmit power down on the radio. Some people have had luck combining or bridging throw away computer supplies, but they tend to be noisy. If you have a good car battery, use that, and charge it when you don't have the radio on.
    Welcome to the Island Daniel. The bartender will be along shortly. The first one always goes on Carl's tab. Of course, he never pays it anyway, the Bastid. If things are tight, or you want to get the most bang for the buck, the car battery + charger is a good way to go until you find a good AC supply. There are many SLA batteries out there that would do a good job, too, and they are quite inexpensive and safe.

If size and weight are not a consideration, I would personally prefer the analog (non-switching) supply. Like was mentioned above, the switchers can cause noise at RF frequencies, and with my luck, it is usually the frequency I want to use. I believe some of the "ham" stores carry the switchers that are least likely to cause a problem. Take your time and I would almost guarantee a good deal will present itself when you least expect it. Another possibility is to consider a swap if you have something of about equal value you no longer need. Good luck with your quest.
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL

Besides a gaggle of homebrew PSU's running 40 - 80 amp i have 2 SEC 1223 switchers that produce no hf junk, work since years as they should, and made several trips from the Netherlands to France hobbling in the van to feed the FT 847 or FT 100 whichevr i took me then.
    23 amps, rock solid and cheap.
    "If the Republicans will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop
    telling the truth about them." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
    “I’m not liberal/conservative, I’m anti-idiotarian.”
    At some point in the last 20 years, the left moved to the center, and the right moved into a mental institution

Yeah, but he probably doesn't have a van.
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL

I kick myself in the ass every time I think about how I passed up on that 100 amp industrial battery charger that I could have had for nothing from my last employer. It didn't work properly (bad rectifier, I think) but the big old honkin' transformer was still good and it would have made the heart of a killer analog PS.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

I used to make a bridge recifier from alternator diodes good for 125 amps for that and a softstart to charge the 500.000 Micro Farad electrolitic capacitors for that...
    7 2N 3772 transistors on a 2 foot heatsink with 2 each 5 inch fans temperature controled keeps them cool.
    Used to deliver 80 amps from 3 volt to 24 volt 24/7 if need be.

The SEC 1223 has a fan that only starts to work when the PSU is really hot.
    "If the Republicans will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop
    telling the truth about them." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
    “I’m not liberal/conservative, I’m anti-idiotarian.”
    At some point in the last 20 years, the left moved to the center, and the right moved into a mental institution

Quote Originally Posted by PA5COR View Post
    i have 2 SEC 1223 switchers that produce no hf junk, work since years as they should,...
    I also have one of these and it works finebidness.
    Pretty cheap too.

2012-06-17_14-03-41_548.jpg

"Bacon, Beans and Limousines"
    "Actually, it's a Democratic Republic; Democratic comes first".
    Please don't confuse my personality with my attitude. My personality is obviously me, But my attitude depends largely upon you.