Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: frequency question

SK Member 8/11/2015

frequency question

Is there a trick to finding what frequency someone is broadcasting on? Several times I have picked up a station that could be heard on several adjacent frequency's and sometimes even got back to them only to find out later I was off frequency and thats pribally why I got a bad signal report.

Generally, if the station you're talking to sounds intelligible on SSB, you're probably as close to being on frequency as you need to be. Of course, that's assuming your rig is working properly.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

If they're transmitting a carrier mode, tune for zero beat. SSB...is a little more subjective due to some folks being tone-deaf. This of course assumes that the stations in use at either end of the circuit are themselves 'on frequency' and set up correctly with regards to BFO adjustment, filter selection and passband, etc.

Tune until the other guy sounds good and ignore the rig's frequency display, unless you're operating near a band edge.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Banned
    Make sure, if your rig has an RIT or other transmit/receive offset adjustment, that it is set to zero (no offset).
    Last edited by N2CHX; 05-29-2012 at 10:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by N2KKM View Post
    Make sure, if your rig has an RIT or other transmit offset adjustment, that it is set to zero (no offset).
    Good advice right there. I've been burned by that one a time or two.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by KJ6BSO View Post
    Good advice right there. I've been burned by that one a time or two.
    Me too :-)

Oh. I though this might be about finding an AMBCB or SWBCB all over the the place on frequencies they should not be on either due to poor transmission facilities or a fault in the front end of the receiver being used.
    Back in the day, well it wasn't that long ago, 660 in Dixie had the trashiest transmitter around. These days I think they're under new ownership and I think they made some upgrades as they're certainly not all over the dial.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WLFJ_%28AM%29

SK Member 8/11/2015
    I forgot to say I'm working ssb.I once made a contact that wasen't good on his end,when I looked him up on qrz I noticed he was sending one up.I contacted him again and he said I was clearer this time.

Quote Originally Posted by KG4CGC View Post
    Oh. I though this might be about finding an AMBCB or SWBCB all over the the place on frequencies they should not be
    At first, I thought it was about how often he should have sex.

Quote Originally Posted by kk4fpx View Post
    I forgot to say I'm working ssb.I once made a contact that wasen't good on his end,when I looked him up on qrz I noticed he was sending one up.I contacted him again and he said I was clearer this time.
    What kind of rig are you using? Does it have RIT? If it's an older radio, has it been aligned recently?