Page 1 of 64 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Intros

Re: Intros

So much has changed about this so I figured I would start over.

Hello I am N2RJ. Licensed in the late 90s at the encouragement of a teacher.

I enjoy DXing and contesting, home brew, digital and DMR.

What say you?
    Last edited by N2RJ; 09-16-2022 at 12:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by N2RJ
    Anyway, my personal belief is that we need to encourage young people in the hobby, especially those that are interested in science and tech.

I had a lot of fun building projects, SWLing and helping out with operating events when I was a high schooler. Unfortunately for me, getting licensed was a lesser priority due to the cost, so I used the club station with a licensed control op.

Hope you all enjoy the Island and the hobby!

Ryan, I agree 100%. I wish I hadn't gotten side tracked years ago, I wanted to get my ticket then but wasn't aware of any hams in my area, and there was no interweb to look up clubs/exam sites etc.

The great thing about amateur radio is the vast diversity of activities one can choose to partake in. Digital modes, Sat work, CW and the list goes on. I wish my stroke didn't effect me as it did as I used to love building kits, unfortunately my motor control skills aren't what they were or I'd be building a K-2.

Anyway, welcome aboard Duncan, and welcome to the hobby.
    73 de Keith
    'Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself.'
    --Mark Twain

Tribal Warrior

WOOPEEEEE!

I got a nice little surprise when I saw this forum.

Anyways.... I'm Cal, K0DXC; I am 13 years old. I've been a ham for about 3 years since I was 10.

I am only a general but I hope to have my extra by the end of June (before they get a new test, I just spent money on a book)

In hamming I most enjoy CW, it is a fine mode. The only thing I enjoy more than that is running a CW contest. I have submitted articles to QST and the FISTS magazine, "the keynote"

The FISTS article will be published but the QST one I just sent off after I got an email from Sean, KX9X, that said he would like to see the article that I wrote for him about my favorite subject of contesting. I was also published in the July/August issue of the National Contest Journal.

I am a moderator on "gokarters" ( gokarters.com/vbforum/ ) and I also moderate this forum here on Hamisland.

that's about it. for more info you can read my qrz.com biography or visit http://www.k0dxc.9f.com

73, thanks to Mike for the new board!
    Cal, K0DXC - http://www.k0dxc.com

USA HST Team

Nice hearing the backgrounds.

I used to be a little kid. I was born and raised in Lawrence, KS. Yup. About 35 miles from KU0DM. I got WN0RXE in 1976. I was Rated X Entertainment. As a farmhand on my parents farm, I was always putting up hay. But I ended going to college at Pittsburg State University.

Guess where I'll be at next Tuesday Night? Ooooh Lay Tha. (That's how you pronounce Olathe). Yup. A visit to Garmin GPS.

Know of any good repeaters around there?

Quote Originally Posted by N9XR
    Guess where I'll be at next Tuesday Night? Ooooh Lay Tha. (That's how you pronounce Olathe). Yup. A visit to Garmin GPS.
    Not bad. Do you guys supply crystals to them?

Complicated question. Yes, we supply crystals to the guys here in Kansas, but a lot of the manufacturing is in Taiwan, and those buyers like the cheap Taiwanese and Chinese crystals.

I see these crystals from competitors and i know how the different crystals perform. I know that ours (comparing apples to apples meaning same frequency and case size) have a lower crystal resistance than other brands that I look at including the other Japanese manufacturers.

But we have crystals in engine controllers, transmission controllers, tire pressure monitors, dashboard displays, backup cameras, and many other automotive type applications. Maybe someday even in the cupholders.

I will look for you there on the repeaters, Duncan.

I used to work at 75th and I-35 for about 7 years until 1999. It was a little sliver of land there belonging to Overland Park North and West of I-35.

While I was there, I developed a design for a double oven crystal oscillator that would remain on frequency from -30C to + 75C to within 0.0002 ppm. I got fired shortly after that development and the company went out of business a few years later.

Wow. That was a fun place.

Complicated question. Yes, we supply crystals to the guys here in Kansas, but a lot of the manufacturing is in Taiwan, and those buyers like the cheap Taiwanese and Chinese crystals.

I see these crystals from competitors and i know how the different crystals perform. I know that ours (comparing apples to apples meaning same frequency and case size) have a lower crystal resistance than other brands that I look at including the other Japanese manufacturers.

But we have crystals in engine controllers, transmission controllers, tire pressure monitors, dashboard displays, backup cameras, and many other automotive type applications. Maybe someday even in the cupholders.
    Well so much for that, I agree with you that cost often wins over quality. No wonder so much consumer electronics these days resembles the cheap knock offs you buy in chinatown.

Tribal Warrior

I learned about ham radio in school where one of my teachers (9Y4AL) was a ham.
    I wish one of my teachers was a ham.
    Cal, K0DXC - http://www.k0dxc.com

USA HST Team

Quote Originally Posted by K0DXC
    I learned about ham radio in school where one of my teachers (9Y4AL) was a ham.
    I wish one of my teachers was a ham.
    It's not too late to encourage them.