Page 51 of 64 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast

Thread: Intros

Quote Originally Posted by KJ6BSO View Post
    The ATU on that thing uses the same forward and reflected power meters as my ST-3B.
    Correct. I have a rare ST-3C ("Commercial") tuner, two of the ST-2Bs and three -3Bs...meter reuse throughout.

Note the "Swan" logo meter in the amplifier. Must have had a bunch left over from the 1500X.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

I like the dual-meter set up a lot better than a forward/reflected switch or one of those god-awful cross-needle things that MFJ uses.
    Last edited by NQ6U; 02-03-2015 at 10:27 PM.

That is neat. With all that what the hell are you talking about repackaging some heathkit for? If you are all that board get a signal one cx-7. I wonder if that tuner was an scg, no meters on/off and some leds main led came on when it was tuned. I saw the pics of your op position neat stuff, I see you like Drake7 series. that was my first serious set up- TR7/R7 etc.

Is the st 5 just a tuner able to handle more watts than the st 3?

Quote Originally Posted by KC4TIR View Post
    That is neat. With all that what the hell are you talking about repackaging some heathkit for? If you are all that board get a signal one cx-7. I wonder if that tuner was an scg, no meters on/off and some leds main led came on when it was tuned. I saw the pics of your op position neat stuff, I see you like Drake7 series. that was my first serious set up- TR7/R7 etc.
    1) Because I can, and because the outcome justifies the effort. ;)
    2) A friend of mine (ex Drake engineer) used to make lots of money repeatedly servicing the early Signal One stuff. Pass;
    3) The tuner I have is definitely not an SGC unit. Two completely different design approaches.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Is the st 5 just a tuner able to handle more watts than the st 3?
    The ST-5 uses a toroid inductor and edgewise meters, as opposed to the ST-3's PI-Dux coil and standard sweep meters. The aim was to shrink it to a size small enough to fit into its suitcase. Power handling...it's capable of coupling the output of an Astro D to loads of different impedances though you aren't going to run a kilowatt through one. Core saturation of the inductor is the limiting factor where applied power is concerned.

I meant the tuner in my old AstroD. I will say the signal ones are the only radios I have that can be working fine until you turn it off, then you wonder if it will work when you turn it back on.

There is an ST 3B on ebay, meters sure look better than ST 5. Eham rates it high also, so they must be pretty good.

There is an ST 3B on ebay, meters sure look better than ST 5. Eham rates it high also, so they must be pretty good.
    Note who wrote the most recent review. The call sign might look familiar.
    Last edited by NQ6U; 02-04-2015 at 11:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ6BSO View Post
    Note who wrote the most recent review. The call sign might look familiar.
    Haven't checked over there - I may go add a comment.

My ONLY gripe with the ST-3 series is that the shaft couplers and fiberglass shafts used to connect the tuning knobs to the variable capacitors will occasionally loosen up and result in a bit of play, which prevents "precise" tuning adjustments. The fix is easy, though - open 'er up and gently tighten the hardware.

The ST-2B and -2R are different animals altogether, and don't have an antenna selector/tuner bypass switch. Which is one thing IMNSHO they truly need.