Page 16 of 64 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: Intros

Quote Originally Posted by KC9SQR View Post
    Sad part about me using google translate and not knowing spanish is that I can't tell how bad the translator butchered what I am saying lol
    It is not great, google that is. Though, for Spanish it is not too bad. A little formal but it does get the point across. Its quite rough with Portuguese and worse with Tagalog.

"A night sky full of cries. Hearts filled with lies. The contract: is it worth the price?"

I used to have a poster of that squirrel holding a pair of Hart skis.

The caption read... "Hart Skis. Weird DNA".
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

Tiki Bearer
    Huh, an intro thread... cool... didn't see that this was around.

"The name here" is Kevin. I've been at this game relatively shortly... since 2008. Not much to say. I am president of the local ham club, in my second year, but will probably be giving it up when my term is up in the spring. I currently hold a general class license, but I plan on getting my extra this winter (I have been saying that for a while now though).

I dropped out of college in 2006ish to work full-time (and then some) on the campaign trail as a contract photojournalist for the news wires and magazines/newspapers. It was fun and the money was good during the election, but after the election season ended and the recession was in full-swing in the midwest, there wasn't much work to be had, and the Register had laid off a bunch of its staff photographers, so it was getting rough. In 2010, I started working for one of the major Fortune 100 property/casualty insurance companies, where I now work in administration for the claims contact centers (we have 4 centers around the nation, about 450 employees in the department total). I am sure I will probably move to a different position within the company later on down the road. It was really a drastic change for me, working for myself out in the field seeing cool things, to being a 7:30-4 cubicle dweller 5 days a week, but I'm happy with the company that I work for so it evens out for me.

After I covered the aftermath of the 2008 Parkersburg EF-5 tornado (first reports of damage came via ham radio) and the 2008 midwest floods, among other disasters, I thought it would be a good idea to get my license. I already had a scanner in the car and at home -- I've been into scanners since a little kid, since my dad had been on the fire department for 35 years (retired as assistant chief when I was in high school). I remember spending a big chunk of my change buying scanner crystals and other gizmos at Rat Shack. Oh, the decisions I had to face with what to put in an 8-channel Bearcat!

Even though natural disasters somewhat prompted me to get my ticket, I'm not big into ARES/emcomm. I've taken some heat about it from the community for various aspects, but I'd rather give back to the community and further amateur radio by promoting educational programs and public events to increase our hobby's exposure. There's just so much to do in ham radio other than doing emcomm, imho. I don't think anyone should focus on just one aspect of the hobby.

I have a blog and twitter where I post about anything that interests me.

I don't remember how I found the site, I think I was probably reading something about the Island being the anti-Phred. I'm glad I found it, because a good lot of you guys are pretty messed-up. I lurk primarily because it's hard for me to keep up with all of the topics here since it is so active.

Quote Originally Posted by KC9ECI View Post
    I had a teacher in high school that was a ham...I found that out about 20 years after HS.
    Crazy. My high school debate teacher/coach that I hadn't seen since my freshman year showed up at the local hamfest this year. I could barely recognize him. I had no idea he was a ham, not only that, but he was an extra. I really wish he'd come to one of our meetings.
    73 de K0KDS
    Kevin

Welcome to the Island.
    I'm glad I found it, because a good lot of you guys are pretty messed-up.
    Yep, good description for most of us even here on the other side of the pond ;)
    "If the Republicans will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop
    telling the truth about them." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
    “I’m not liberal/conservative, I’m anti-idiotarian.”
    At some point in the last 20 years, the left moved to the center, and the right moved into a mental institution

Quote Originally Posted by kds View Post
    I'm glad I found it, because a good lot of you guys are pretty messed-up.
    Hey! I resemble that remark! ;)
    "People Who Don't Want Their Beliefs Laughed at Shouldn't Have Such Funny Beliefs" -AD5MB

"If someone tells you he believes in and talks to an invisible bunny named Harvey, you put him on medication and a regimen of therapy. If someone tells you he believes in and talks to God, well, that's perfectly acceptable. Why that's the case is impossible for me to fathom." - WP2XX

Latest ClubLog entries.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ3N View Post
    Hey! I resemble that remark! ;)
    The rest of us have pretty much always felt that way about you, too. :stickpoke:
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL

Tiki Bearer
    Quote Originally Posted by KG4CGC View Post
    Haha whoa, I got a little queazy looking at that atrocity of a sandwich.
    73 de K0KDS
    Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by kds View Post
    Haha whoa, I got a little queazy looking at that atrocity of a sandwich.
    Yeah. Everyone knows it should have been on a bagel.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ6BSO View Post
    Yeah. Everyone knows it should have been on a bagel.
    Yeah, but the cops are going to be his new best buddies.
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL