Thread: Yaesu FT-250R Charger problems

Yaesu FT-250R Charger problems

I have a Yaesu FT-250R HT and an accompanying CD-47 drop-in desktop charger. I am having a problem. I left the HT on and the battery drained completely. Now, when i drop the battery pack into the charger I just get a blinking yellow LED. I no longer get a steady red LED indicating that its charging.

Does this mean my batter pack is wiped out ? Or is there a problem with the charger itself ? I can;t seem to find any info on this online. I can;t even find a manual for the CD-47 on Yaesu's website. It's a fairly new charger, i only bought this HT + charger a year or two ago.
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.

Because of the price of the charger, they probably figure it's expendable; you probably have nothing to lose if you open it up. Will the radio accept a regular wall wort type charger? If so, you can see if the battery will charge with it, run it down, and recharge it again. If that works, get out the iron and screwdriver.

ETA With Kenwood, the service info for accys are in the service manual of the radio(s) the accys are used with. I don't think Yaesu does that, but you might check.
    Last edited by K7SGJ; 05-10-2012 at 06:00 PM.
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL

Quote Originally Posted by K7SGJ View Post
    Because of the price of the charger, they probably figure it's expendable; you probably have nothing to lose if you open it up. Will the radio accept a regular wall wort type charger? If so, you can see if the battery will charge with it, run it down, and recharge it again. If that works, get out the iron and screwdriver.

ETA With Kenwood, the service info for accys are in the service manual of the radio(s) the accys are used with. I don't think Yaesu does that, but you might check.
    The radio does have a jack for an external DC power source but I don't know if it charges the battery as well. I might open the charger and see if anything is shorted or fried inside. The problem is that I ran the battery down extremely low. I had it on "APO = Automatic Power Off" and it shut off but I forgot about it and by the time I looked at it today the battery was so low that even the APO icon won't appear on screen. I think I remember reading somewhere that if it detects a bad pack it will blink some sort of error.

I might just order the alkaline battery pack and stuffit full of NiCAD or NiMH cells. That way I can just use regular alkali AA cells or NiCAD / NiMH cells that I can charge in any standard charger.

Meanwhile I might fire an email off to yaesu and ask them what they feel might be wrong.

I fiired off an email to Yaesu. Hopefully I will hear from them within the next several days. ;)

Great NEWS!!! I got the bastard working again. I opened up the sonovabitch and cleaned the connectors and removed some dust and a small spider web from the circuit board and viola !! The damned SOB works !!! The battery s charging !!