Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: N0ECN Shot Down by FCC Re: CC&R

N0ECN Shot Down by FCC Re: CC&R

From today's FCC Digest:Excerpts from the letter to N0ECN:
    This letter responds to your petition for a declaratory ruling that private codes, covenants, and restrictions including homeowner association rules (CC&Rs) that restrict amateur radio facilities violate Section 310(d) of the Communications Act of 1934, as amended. You request that the Commission declare such CC&Rs to be contrary to the public safety and interest, thereby terminating their enforceability. For the reasons set forth below, we deny the petition. < snip >

Congress recently enacted the Middle Class Tax Relief and Job Creation Act of 2012, which requires the Commission to report to Congress regarding the uses and capabilities of Amateur Radio Service communications in emergencies and disaster relief. The statute requires that the study identify impediments to enhanced Amateur Radio Service communications and recommendations regarding the removal of such impediments, including "the effects of unreasonable or unnecessary private land use restrictions on residential antenna installations.” On April 2, 2012, the Wireless Telecommunications Bureau and Public Safety and Homeland Security Bureau issued a Public Notice seeking comments relating to the topics of the study to be submitted to Congress. Comments are due May 17, 2012.

In your petition, you argue that early comments to the Public Notice demonstrate a controversy regarding whether CC&Rs that restrict amateur radio facilities violate the Communications Act, and you request a declaratory ruling terminating the controversy by holding that such CC&Rs are unenforceable. Section 1.2 of the Commission’s Rules provides that the Commission may “issue a declaratory ruling terminating a controversy or removing uncertainty.” The Commission’s policy regarding preemption of CC&Rs that restrict amateur radio facilities is clear, and has not changed since 1985. The recent congressional directive to conduct a study that, inter alia, examines the effects of such CC&Rs does not change the Commission’s existing policy. Because there is no controversy to terminate or uncertainty to remove regarding the enforceability of CC&Rs, we deny your petition.
    < snip >
    Translation, IMHO: Just because Congress directed that the FCC conduct a survey does NOT mean that the FCC will use that study to change their policy. Or am I wrong?
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 300!!!!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

There is an existing law.
    That a study is ordered that looks at the effects of the restricting CC R's does not change that law that is still in effect, the Commission has to uphold the existing law.

Even if the study will be in favor of doing away with the restrictions, that first must be changed in the law.
    Only then can the FCC act on the new law.
    Till then they have to work with the existing law.
    "If the Republicans will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop
    telling the truth about them." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
    “I’m not liberal/conservative, I’m anti-idiotarian.”
    At some point in the last 20 years, the left moved to the center, and the right moved into a mental institution

Quote Originally Posted by W3WN View Post
    Translation, IMHO: Just because Congress directed that the FCC conduct a survey does NOT mean that the FCC will use that study to change their policy. Or am I wrong?
    I'd say "does not necessarily mean that the FCC will use that study to change their policy." It might, but it might not and they don't want to commit at this time.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ6BSO View Post
    I'd say "does not necessarily mean that the FCC will use that study to change their policy." It might, but it might not and they don't want to commit at this time.
    Hmmm.

How about "Just because Congress directed the FCC to conduct a survey does not imply what, if anything, the FCC will do with the results of that survey" ?
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.

Cutch 300!!!!!

Something about a snowball & Hell comes to mind... :roll:
    "People Who Don't Want Their Beliefs Laughed at Shouldn't Have Such Funny Beliefs" -AD5MB

"If someone tells you he believes in and talks to an invisible bunny named Harvey, you put him on medication and a regimen of therapy. If someone tells you he believes in and talks to God, well, that's perfectly acceptable. Why that's the case is impossible for me to fathom." - WP2XX

Latest ClubLog entries.

Something about "Don't buy property which is regulated by such nonsense" also comes to mind.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Quote Originally Posted by KJ3N View Post
    Something about a snowball & Hell comes to mind... :roll:
    Quote Originally Posted by N8YX View Post
    Something about "Don't buy property which is regulated by such nonsense" also comes to mind.
    Well, there is that.

BAN THE DH!

Cutch 300!!!!!

That is why I bought in CREST and not in Poway or Rancho Bernardo. ANY antenna Regulations are TOO MUCH regulation!
    The only one I am bound by is the 200ft limit for FAA and planes. (Like I am going to put up a 200ft tower! LOL!)

Hams are driven by their WIVES to buy a PRETTY house. Pretty houses usually come with HOAs and CC&Rs. Trashed houses are usually FREE from those. It is easier to live in a TRASHED house (and cheaper too) that you can always fix up than to take a Pretty house where you have to ask permission to even plant a DAISY! My wife knew that HAM RADIO COMES FIRST in house shopping. In fact, for every house we looked at, I ran a TOPO program to make sure it had a FB shot to Hawaii for DUCT working and a great VHF/UHF radio location for the JUNE VHF Contest! The roof had to be fairly FLAT for easy climbing on to put up antennas. The yard had to be EXPANSIVE for stringing up dipoles. And what the actual house looked like was completely IMMATERIAL. I just use it to SLEEP in at night anyway, who cares what it looks like? We don't have COCKTAIL PARTIES! And after living in a SEEDY, broke down 12x60 Mobilehome for 18 years, this 5BR house was a MANSION!

So, Hams just shouldn't even THINK of moving to CC&R or HOA neighborhoods if they plan on doing Ham Radio. If they move there, they should take up Stamp Collecting instead! Because a ROTTEN antenna is almost as bad as NO antenna!

Orca Whisperer
    Something about finding an agent who is a ham, and letting them know "Ham friendly only, please" does as well :)
    Big Giant Meteor 2020 - We need to make Earth Great Again

http://www.coreyreichle.com

Quote Originally Posted by KC2UGV View Post
    Something about finding an agent who is a ham, and letting them know "Ham friendly only, please" does as well :)
    I'll vouch for that; it worked for me.

And it was a nice house, too, Pat. (Although it needed some work, you should have seen those gawdawful red carpets that they had in there...)

BAN THE DH!

Cutch 300!!!!!