Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Good Ol' Boys Club

Banned

The Good Ol' Boys Club

Yep, I'm gonna gripe, bitch or whatever you wanna call it.

A few months ago I was sent a link to a conversation concerning someone here whom I am friends with and they wanted me to see it. I was met with an error saying I wasn't authorized to view the thread. And that, gentlemen, is how I learned about the Ham Island Good Ol' Boys Club. Yes, that secret place where many longtime members post, in fact, my understanding is that most regulars can post and read there. Except me, which is why I was away from this place for so long, because I inquired and was given details on how my membership into this elitist club has been voted down numerous times by members who have something against me.

So yeah, until this elitist club is dissolved or open to any longtime member in good standing instead of being voted on by members who may be discriminatory because they don't like your gender or whatever else it is they don't like, I'm calling this place on it.

In truth, I don't want to be a part of this little club unless membership is open and fair to everyone. I understand wanting a place where the general public can't see, but this exclusive club you have going where people are excluded because they aren't liked by some is bullshit, plain and simple.

And don't say it's because of shit that happened two years ago either. I've been a member in good standing for quite some time now and have gotten along quite well with everyone, once the one person who came here specifically to stir shit up with me was booted.

There you go. Until you fix this, my sigline stays and I stand by it. It's discriminatory, plain and simple and I will not back down from that.
    Last edited by N2CHX; 04-24-2012 at 02:38 PM.

Hmm.
    Running as admin an large satellite based board we havemoderaters/admin room too.
    It served it's purpose and i kept the content to a minimum needed for the running of the board as till today, no need to make a board inside a board.

Many boards have the same solution and have a room for trusted members or special interst groups, not being a member i don't care, a board is not the world.

For me i can assure you i never saw you as "freak" or any different as other members, my friends circle contain people from all walks of life, gay, hetero, etc people all cherished for what they bring in life.
    Don't set yourself up as "freak"because nobody here sees you as that, and there is no need to bring yourself down.
    I'm sure the "other"not named site will have their own room for the chosen ones, of which i will never be invited as being the one that seems to row against the stream there, and i don't care a bit about not being invited, most will see me as freak there ;)

be happy with the person you are, life is too short to get pulled down with this crap.
    "If the Republicans will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop
    telling the truth about them." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
    “I’m not liberal/conservative, I’m anti-idiotarian.”
    At some point in the last 20 years, the left moved to the center, and the right moved into a mental institution

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PA5COR View Post
    Hmm.
    Running as admin an large satellite based board we havemoderaters/admin room too.
    It served it's purpose and i kept the content to a minimum needed for the running of the board as till today, no need to make a board inside a board.

Many boards have the same solution and have a room for trusted members or special interst groups, not being a member i don't care, a board is not the world.

For me i can assure you i never saw you as "freak" or any different as other members, my friends circle contain people from all walks of life, gay, hetero, etc people all cherished for what they bring in life.
    Don't set yourself up as "freak"because nobody here sees you as that, and there is no need to bring yourself down.
    I'm sure the "other"not named site will have their own room for the chosen ones, of which i will never be invited as being the one that seems to row against the stream there, and i don't care a bit about not being invited, most will see me as freak there ;)

be happy with the person you are, life is too short to get pulled down with this crap.
    It's not a moderator board, Cor. It's a private forum for the elite here, who are voted in or out at the whim of those already a part of it. A moderator board I completely understand. And no, I don't see myself as a freak at all. I'm actually quite happy with me. I don't even want to be a part of the elite, I just think it sucks that here on the "Island Of Misfits" there's apparently misfits among the misfits.

FWIW, the Pub was never meant to be discriminatory as it's reason to exist. It was also already in place when I joined, let alone became a mod.

On the other hand, friends who are in the pub should have been aware of the fact that others may not be able to visit. FWIW, I think that is a bigger problem in this instance. What was the the motivation behind sending you the link? I have my doubts that it was a mistake. Hmmm, a trust issue? Or just somebody who can't resist shoving a stick in the spokes to affect change, regardless of the consequences. I suspect the latter.

No matter how appropriate the motivation, the action taken just... doesn't press for change in a positive way. Now, it's a trust issue.

If you think your sigline was not noticed, it certainly was. There has been discussion regarding getting you there in the past, and you've probably already guessed it's not been... unanimous. OTOH, it has become more positive as time went by, and you joined in with us more and more. So, the big question is...can you deal with the discussions there regarding this? If so, focus on the positive comments, there are many. Damn right there are.

Finally, I'm not a huge fan of the Pub as it stands. Because it is "exclusive". And at least half the staff agrees. The question for quite a while has been what the hell to do about it? Other criteria for being invited has been discussed... and the number of posts is the likely winner, except for certain high volume posters (past, present, and future) that are best described as trolls. Rudy comes to mind, as the post number was pretty high before he got banned. And that was for damn good reason.

So membership in the Pub is discussed with existing Pub members. As it should be if the Pub is to exist at all. Some sites do this for $.

But, we're not sure what to do, and it may simply go away soon. And not because we wouldn't want you there, but because it's a problem for the very reasons you've stated. Please remember that the Pub was inherited by most of the current staff, including the main admin/owner.
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

Quote Originally Posted by WØTKX View Post
    FWIW, the Pub was never meant to be discriminatory as it's reason to exist. It was also already in place when I joined, let alone became a mod.

On the other hand, friends who are in the pub should have been aware of the fact that others may not be able to visit. FWIW, I think that is a bigger problem in this instance. What was the the motivation behind sending you the link? I have my doubts that it was a mistake. Hmmm, a trust issue? Or just somebody who can't resist shoving a stick in the spokes to affect change, regardless of the consequences. I suspect the latter.

No matter how appropriate the motivation, the action taken just... doesn't press for change in a positive way. Now, it's a trust issue.

If you think your sigline was not noticed, it certainly was. There has been discussion regarding getting you there in the past, and you've probably already guessed it's not been... unanimous. OTOH, it has become more positive as time went by, and you joined in with us more and more. So, the big question is...can you deal with the discussions there regarding this? If so, focus on the positive comments, there are many. Damn right there are.

Finally, I'm not a huge fan of the Pub as it stands. Because it is "exclusive". And at least half the staff agrees. The question for quite a while has been what the hell to do about it? Other criteria for being invited has been discussed... and the number of posts is the likely winner, except for certain high volume posters (past, present, and future) that are best described as trolls. Rudy comes to mind, as the post number was pretty high before he got banned. And that was for damn good reason.

So membership in the Pub is discussed with existing Pub members. As it should be if the Pub is to exist at all. Some sites do this for $.

But, we're not sure what to do, and it may simply go away soon. And not because we wouldn't want you there, but because it's a problem for the very reasons you've stated. Please remember that the Pub was inherited by most of the current staff, including the main admin/owner.
    +1 From the time before I was even a moderator, I thought the Pub was a dumb idea. Dealing with it has just never been a high priority.

Kelli, I'm sorry it has upset you. I can tell you it wasn't a personal bias towards you by any members of the site moderators or admins. You have always been welcome here and I like to think we've done everything to demonstrate that. There are plenty of great people on this site who don't have access.

The root problem is that the old software listed groups you could join by request. In the software upgrade, these groups (of which there were 3, guests, members, Loyal Islanders) did not make the translation.

Since it became "exclusive" in that it wasn't mentioned anywhere registered users could see it, we've agonized over what to do with it because it has become exclusive, though not by anyone's intent or plans.

The fact that it has risen to be such an issue pretty well convinces me that it's outlived it's usefulness. Jeff and I knew it was going to cause problems, sooner or later, but dealing with it wasn't a priority.

Since it's being discussed in a very public forum, I guess its a priority now. I'll suggest eliminating that forum and being done with it once and for all. The rest of the staff may weigh in with their opinions, and the majority decision will prevail.
    QAnon / GOP Republicans mentally lack the necessary intelligence to even tell a decent lie (Ex: A cabal of Satanic, cannibalistic pedophiles run a global child sex trafficking ring and conspired against former President Dotard dRUMPf during his term in office... Jewish space lasers, etc.). What in the hell makes anyone believe these melon heads can actually govern?

I am going to go with "keep it". Not everyone who visits this site is a friend, and it's handy to have a place '...to prevail against all evil...'. Since our method of operation has been geared towards letting the members call the shots, such a forum makes sense for discussions away from the reach of passing stukachi.

As part of your acceptance criteria, Kelli, we will need to see your tist. You being a biker should understand this requirement; same as any swap meet. ;)
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Orca Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by N8YX View Post
    I am going to go with "keep it". Not everyone who visits this site is a friend, and it's handy to have a place '...to prevail against all evil...'. Since our method of operation has been geared towards letting the members call the shots, such a forum makes sense for discussions away from the reach of passing stukachi.

As part of your acceptance criteria, Kelli, we will need to see your tist. You being a biker should understand this requirement; same as any swap meet. ;)
    lol
    Big Giant Meteor 2020 - We need to make Earth Great Again

http://www.coreyreichle.com

The Pub does affect the manner of moderation here to a point.

But more than anything else, it is very useful as an anti-troll discussion area,
    With input from mostly long term members, who (mostly ;) ) don't troll.

And, of course... a demonstrated sense of loyalty and appreciation about The Island.

But, as shown here, membership is also a judgement call. And humans always fail at judgments to some degree.

And, So it Goes...

Last edited by WØTKX; 04-24-2012 at 04:20 PM.
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by WØTKX View Post
    Really, the whole concept of an exclusive club (Pub or whatever you want to call it) completely goes against what I thought this site stood for.