Thread: The Good Ol' Boys Club

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by WØTKX View Post
    FWIW, the Pub was never meant to be discriminatory as it's reason to exist. It was also already in place when I joined, let alone became a mod.

On the other hand, friends who are in the pub should have been aware of the fact that others may not be able to visit. FWIW, I think that is a bigger problem in this instance. What was the the motivation behind sending you the link? I have my doubts that it was a mistake. Hmmm, a trust issue? Or just somebody who can't resist shoving a stick in the spokes to affect change, regardless of the consequences. I suspect the latter.

No matter how appropriate the motivation, the action taken just... doesn't press for change in a positive way. Now, it's a trust issue.

If you think your sigline was not noticed, it certainly was. There has been discussion regarding getting you there in the past, and you've probably already guessed it's not been... unanimous. OTOH, it has become more positive as time went by, and you joined in with us more and more. So, the big question is...can you deal with the discussions there regarding this? If so, focus on the positive comments, there are many. Damn right there are.

Finally, I'm not a huge fan of the Pub as it stands. Because it is "exclusive". And at least half the staff agrees. The question for quite a while has been what the hell to do about it? Other criteria for being invited has been discussed... and the number of posts is the likely winner, except for certain high volume posters (past, present, and future) that are best described as trolls. Rudy comes to mind, as the post number was pretty high before he got banned. And that was for damn good reason.

So membership in the Pub is discussed with existing Pub members. As it should be if the Pub is to exist at all. Some sites do this for $.

But, we're not sure what to do, and it may simply go away soon. And not because we wouldn't want you there, but because it's a problem for the very reasons you've stated. Please remember that the Pub was inherited by most of the current staff, including the main admin/owner.
    +1 From the time before I was even a moderator, I thought the Pub was a dumb idea. Dealing with it has just never been a high priority.

Kelli, I'm sorry it has upset you. I can tell you it wasn't a personal bias towards you by any members of the site moderators or admins. You have always been welcome here and I like to think we've done everything to demonstrate that. There are plenty of great people on this site who don't have access.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by W4GPL View Post
    +1 From the time before I was even a moderator, I thought the Pub was a dumb idea. Dealing with it has just never been a high priority.

Kelli, I'm sorry it has upset you. I can tell you it wasn't a personal bias towards you by any members of the site moderators or admins. You have always been welcome here and I like to think we've done everything to demonstrate that. There are plenty of great people on this site who don't have access.
    Well, yeah... Again, it pretty much flies in the face of everything this site is supposed to be. And I didn't think it was mods and admins. I know how the votes work. I've been an admin of more than one site.