Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Thread: The Good Ol' Boys Club

I tired of it long ago as well. Still like simplex FM and SSB on 144/440 tho.

And AM if I can get anyone to play along.
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

I wish there was activity on our local repeaters, they're absolutely dead. I scan 20+ programmed repeaters all day long and all I ever hear is the auto ID and announcements.

Quote Originally Posted by KB3LAZ View Post
    That makes me feel so "nub". You have not used a repeater in two and a half times (give or take) the length I have held a ticket.

That makes me feel.....not a noob.

>sigh<
    The louder the monkey, the smaller its balls.

Quote Originally Posted by KB3LAZ View Post
    That makes me feel so "nub". You have not used a repeater in two and a half times (give or take) the length I have held a ticket.
    Just be sure to keep off his lawn. ;)
    "People Who Don't Want Their Beliefs Laughed at Shouldn't Have Such Funny Beliefs" -AD5MB

"If someone tells you he believes in and talks to an invisible bunny named Harvey, you put him on medication and a regimen of therapy. If someone tells you he believes in and talks to God, well, that's perfectly acceptable. Why that's the case is impossible for me to fathom." - WP2XX

Latest ClubLog entries.

Quote Originally Posted by W4GPL View Post
    I wish there was activity on our local repeaters, they're absolutely dead. I scan 20+ programmed repeaters all day long and all I ever hear is the auto ID and announcements.
    Yep, and I'll bet it was due to some of the dynamics which Charles pointed out. That, and cell phones.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

I can remember when there were waiting lists to join repeaters here. Of course, back then, everybody stayed off my lawn.

Quote Originally Posted by N8YX View Post
    Yep, and I'll bet it was due to some of the dynamics which Charles pointed out. That, and cell phones.
    No doubt.. and I'm just as guilty as the next guy of not participating. I listen and lurk, but never xmit.

No doubt.. and I'm just as guilty as the next guy of not participating. I listen and lurk, but never xmit.
    When a bunch of us did XMIT...back in the day...the owners/users of a few of the higher-profile machines didn't want us on, so we left and went to simplex FM or SSB. Then a few 'friendlier' systems sprung up and we began to use them if duplex comms were in order.

Those of us who waited it out (past the old farts' time) have had the last laugh: "...to drive your enemies before you; to hear the lamentations of their women as you disassemble the repeater sites then sell the duplexers for scrap..."

Come to think about it, those women may not have been lamenting after all. I think they were laughing inside, secretly glad to be rid of 'all that junk' and the drama which accompanied it.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

I listen and lurk, but never xmit.
    That's more than I do. Except on very rare occasions, I don't even listen. Every time I do, I remember why I don't.

I think 1998 was the last year I spent any serious time on a repeater. I had started noticing a definite increase in the level of Teh Stoopid by 1997 and just got fed up. By the end of 1999, I was engrossed in 6m and 2m SSB and left repeaters behind. Getting my General in 2001 sealed the death of my repeater activity.
    "People Who Don't Want Their Beliefs Laughed at Shouldn't Have Such Funny Beliefs" -AD5MB

"If someone tells you he believes in and talks to an invisible bunny named Harvey, you put him on medication and a regimen of therapy. If someone tells you he believes in and talks to God, well, that's perfectly acceptable. Why that's the case is impossible for me to fathom." - WP2XX

Latest ClubLog entries.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ3N View Post
    Just be sure to keep off his lawn. ;)

Damn kids!

Stay off my desertscape!
    The louder the monkey, the smaller its balls.