Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The Good Ol' Boys Club

Quote Originally Posted by N2KKM View Post
    Ham radio right now for me is like the final chapter of my old life that I haven't for whatever reason, left behind. I've filled my life up with new stuff. New friends, new hobbies, new things to do, new successful career. I've held onto ham radio and right about now I'm thinking it's time to pitch it.

I will only say this: Ham radio is not what you see online. If it was, I'd have given it up myself.

I don't know how much time you've actually spent on the air (and I don't mean VHF/UHF repeater BS), but I get the feeling it's not been much. I think you owe it to yourself to work up an HF station and spend some time operating before you throw in the towel.
    Last edited by KJ3N; 04-24-2012 at 06:01 PM.
    "People Who Don't Want Their Beliefs Laughed at Shouldn't Have Such Funny Beliefs" -AD5MB

"If someone tells you he believes in and talks to an invisible bunny named Harvey, you put him on medication and a regimen of therapy. If someone tells you he believes in and talks to God, well, that's perfectly acceptable. Why that's the case is impossible for me to fathom." - WP2XX

Latest ClubLog entries.

Orca Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by KJ3N View Post
    I don't know how much time you've actually spent on the air (and I don't mean VHF/UHF repeater BS),
    Glad you put in there the "repeater" part. VHF/UHF can be fun. Not so much on the repeaters :)
    Big Giant Meteor 2020 - We need to make Earth Great Again

http://www.coreyreichle.com

Quote Originally Posted by KC2UGV View Post
    Glad you put in there the "repeater" part. VHF/UHF can be fun. Not so much on the repeaters :)
    Having started out like many new No-Code Techs in the 90s, I can tell you repeater operation today is like watching paint dry. :roll:
    "People Who Don't Want Their Beliefs Laughed at Shouldn't Have Such Funny Beliefs" -AD5MB

"If someone tells you he believes in and talks to an invisible bunny named Harvey, you put him on medication and a regimen of therapy. If someone tells you he believes in and talks to God, well, that's perfectly acceptable. Why that's the case is impossible for me to fathom." - WP2XX

Latest ClubLog entries.

Forum Addict
    Maybe it's me, but the repeater culture we have in this area isn't too bad - I wouldn't want to just be on FM, but usually there's enough activity on 6m, 2m and 70cm to be able to talk to somebody interesting.
    Jim
    The machine does not isolate us from the great problems of nature but plunges us more deeply into them. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Orca Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by KG4NEL View Post
    Maybe it's me, but the repeater culture we have in this area isn't too bad - I wouldn't want to just be on FM, but usually there's enough activity on 6m, 2m and 70cm to be able to talk to somebody interesting.
    I'm fine with FM only (Don't have a mult-mode VHF/UHF rig), but there's tons more than FM repeater. Simplex, Digi modes, etc etc.
    Big Giant Meteor 2020 - We need to make Earth Great Again

http://www.coreyreichle.com

Damn, I hate to see shit like this happen. Life is just too fu(king short.
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL

Quote Originally Posted by KJ3N View Post
    Having started out like many new No-Code Techs in the 90s, I can tell you repeater operation today is like watching paint dry. :roll:
    all the fun 2m repeaters end in 435.

na actually i think it depends on the area, here repeaters kinda suck. and thats just cause of the rules they have on them. (no government, no religion, nothing contraversal that may offend someone) thus we have our own repeater which well. has all the forbidden topics. thus better to listen to. right now were the weakest repeater in the area. yet i hear more people trying to get into it then the others. were also the most active. (cept for the last couple days we all been feeling like shit)
    I AM THE VOICE OF THE VOICELESS!

Quote Originally Posted by N2KKM View Post
    I've held onto ham radio and right about now I'm thinking it's time to pitch it.
    I don't know about anyone else, but I've seen this episode before. Is there anything else on?

Quote Originally Posted by KC2UGV View Post
    I'm fine with FM only (Don't have a mult-mode VHF/UHF rig), but there's tons more than FM repeater. Simplex, Digi modes, etc etc.
    When it comes to VHF/UHF, give me weak signal (SSB in particular), or give me death.

I turn on an HT just long enough to remind me why the thing stays off 95% of the time.

Latest ClubLog entries.

2/70 was always SSB for me, just the odd time on repeaters if i was in the van driving.
    I'll pull the 23 element 70 and 11 element 2 meter Flexa beams from the mast this summer, the Diamond X 510 stays, as does the 5 element 6 meter beam.
    99.9% i'm on H.F and 6 meters, i've been on 2/70 for 35+ years now, and my interests aren't just there anymore.
    Did most of it there, satellite's, SSB long distance, Aurora, airplane bouncing, Sporadic E etc etc., homebrewing P.A's very low noise GaAs fet amps, transverters, etc.
    Leaving the ham radio hobby? never, started as 12 year old kid experimenting with electronics ( tubes) and will do that till i can't do it anymore.
    "If the Republicans will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop
    telling the truth about them." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
    “I’m not liberal/conservative, I’m anti-idiotarian.”
    At some point in the last 20 years, the left moved to the center, and the right moved into a mental institution