Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The Good Ol' Boys Club

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by W4GPL View Post
    +1 From the time before I was even a moderator, I thought the Pub was a dumb idea. Dealing with it has just never been a high priority.

Kelli, I'm sorry it has upset you. I can tell you it wasn't a personal bias towards you by any members of the site moderators or admins. You have always been welcome here and I like to think we've done everything to demonstrate that. There are plenty of great people on this site who don't have access.
    Well, yeah... Again, it pretty much flies in the face of everything this site is supposed to be. And I didn't think it was mods and admins. I know how the votes work. I've been an admin of more than one site.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by N8YX View Post
    I am going to go with "keep it". Not everyone who visits this site is a friend, and it's handy to have a place '...to prevail against all evil...'. Since our method of operation has been geared towards letting the members call the shots, such a forum makes sense for discussions away from the reach of passing stukachi.

As part of your acceptance criteria, Kelli, we will need to see your tist. You being a biker should understand this requirement; same as any swap meet. ;)
    Why not just a "members only section" that doesn't exclude any member in good standing? It could even be hidden from members with, say, less than 100 posts or those who haven't been members for x amount of time. This would give members a "private place" to chat but wouldn't leave anyone excluded simply because they aren't liked by another member or two.

And BTW, if I didn't know you, Fred, I'd have to punt your balls across the parking lot and burn some Ninja tread on them.
    Last edited by N2CHX; 04-24-2012 at 04:50 PM.

*sigh* Kelli, but in fact, you're not exactly a member in good standing. You've had numerous outbursts, you've been banned more than once, you've been very confrontational with people here.. if for any reasons you were excluded, those were it.

From my recollection, the Pub was here pretty much from the beginning. As mentioned, it used to be something you applied for (and was on a menu; anyone could apply). As many might recall, we used to run PhpBB software. It was a long time before I got around to applying (and a bit of an "eh" once in). It was never really intended to be exclusionary, but as some of the staff has pointed out, it's turned out that way.

Fact is, the site was formed on the basis of fair moderation and I think we've largely accomplished that goal. I think everyone on "staff" has said at one time or another that we don't really enjoy being the bad guys -- it's a heck of a lot more fun being one of the gang. And as Fred points out, it is a good place to judge the "pulse" of the members here. "What to do with it" has been under staff discussion for some time off and on, but it's never been pushed to the point of action.

Now that the worm can is open, what do you all think?

Banned
    BTW, just to make myself clear, I'm going to repeat what I said earlier. I don't *want* to be "voted in." I hate exclusivity and being part of an exclusive group that's exclusive based on who likes and dislikes whom, is no better than not being a part of it. As I said, I've stayed away from here for months now because of this very reason and I'll probably not stick around anyway, for the same reason. It's just not cool, it really isn't.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by W4GPL View Post
    *sigh* Kelli, but in fact, you're not exactly a member in good standing. You've had numerous outbursts, you've been banned more than once, you've been very confrontational with people here.. if for any reasons you were excluded, those were it.
    If I'm not a member in good standing, then what are you waiting for? Ban me. I've not done anything like what you just described in a very long time and when I did it was in part because certain people couldn't help being assholes to me. So again, go ahead and dig up whatever you want on me and then use it as a reason to ban me.

Quote Originally Posted by N2KKM View Post
    BTW, just to make myself clear, I'm going to repeat what I said earlier. I don't *want* to be "voted in." I hate exclusivity and being part of an exclusive group that's exclusive based on who likes and dislikes whom, is no better than not being a part of it. As I said, I've stayed away from here for months now because of this very reason and I'll probably not stick around anyway, for the same reason. It's just not cool, it really isn't.
    But, as Jeff points out, you've already been voted in. Twice now, as I recall. Not trying to be confrontational here, but it sure seems like you want to have your cake and eat it, too.

There's been a bit of a freeze on new Pub members for these very issues.

Corey was one of the last to be invited, IIRC.

FWIW, there has been very little activity there, till the recent banning that occurred.
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kf0rt View Post
    But, as Jeff points out, you've already been voted in. Twice now, as I recall. Not trying to be confrontational here, but it sure seems like you want to have your cake and eat it, too.
    Actually no, he hasn't pointed that out and if I was, I suppose I'd have access, but obviously I don't. And you're not getting it. It has nothing to do with cake. Sheesh.

Ya know what? Forget it. Keep your club, keep your site. I'm done here. As for anything I've ever done in the past, you'd have been defensive and snappy if you had to go through half the shit I've been through with ham radio people and people in general. Thankfully I'm on the other side of it now, long past the other side in fact. I've been evaluating what's important to me as of late and in the grand scheme of things, ham radio just isn't that important. I'm not an engineer anymore and will never go back to it, despite the fact that I was a damn good engineer. Why? Because of bigoted assholes who made my life difficult. I chose to leave, for my own well-being. Ham radio right now for me is like the final chapter of my old life that I haven't for whatever reason, left behind. I've filled my life up with new stuff. New friends, new hobbies, new things to do, new successful career. I've held onto ham radio and right about now I'm thinking it's time to pitch it.

classic.

"Bacon, Beans and Limousines"
    "Actually, it's a Democratic Republic; Democratic comes first".
    Please don't confuse my personality with my attitude. My personality is obviously me, But my attitude depends largely upon you.