Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dragged the Drakes back out...

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff K1NSS View Post

I wish I wrote that. Pretty cool sentence no matter how you came by that information. Nevertheless, how did you?
    Google Search is your friend. Page 7 of the results of a search for "Drake TR7 modifications" yields the following:

http://www.paws.dircon.co.uk/drake.htm

Also amazing cool all the radios you have. Are there Quonset huts and a cherry Spruce Goose involved? Are you Howard Hughes?
    Nope...just a few assorted storage shelves and racks in the basement, a couple of bedroom closets and miscellaneous nooks and crannies throughout the house. To me, the fun in ham radio is tinkering...restoring/modifying gear...and eventually passing it along to others. I darn sure ain't makng any money at it but I'm not losing much, either - and the old "classics" are given a reprieve from the boneyard.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Silent Key Member 5-25-2015 W1GUH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by N8YX View Post
    Google Search is your friend. Page 7 of the results of a search for "Drake TR7 modifications" yields the following:

http://www.paws.dircon.co.uk/drake.htm

Nope...just a few assorted storage shelves and racks in the basement, a couple of bedroom closets and miscellaneous nooks and crannies throughout the house. To me, the fun in ham radio is tinkering...restoring/modifying gear...and eventually passing it along to others. I darn sure ain't makng any money at it but I'm not losing much, either - and the old "classics" are given a reprieve from the boneyard.
    And you get to enjoy 'em while you've got 'em.
    If it's a war on drugs, then free the POW's.

Quote Originally Posted by W1GUH View Post
    And don't forget the "no-filter" filter option -- a resistor.
    Oh wow. Could you use a variable resistor there?

Quote Originally Posted by KG4CGC View Post
    Oh wow. Could you use a variable resistor there?
    No - the impedance across the IF strip has to remain constant in order to prevent unwanted responses, crosstalk and so forth. Drake fitted a 390 ohm resistor in the empty filter position on the TR7A and R7A, and the actual impedance value of those filters is ~1.5K, if memory serves correctly.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."