Thread: HamIsland is an official participant in World IPv6 Launch Day...

HamIsland is an official participant in World IPv6 Launch Day...

For many months, HamIsland has been accessible via IPv6 using our main hostname. We will officially be staying this way as of June 6th.

http://www.worldipv6launch.org/

Check out the other participants and support them while the Internet takes a major step forward.

Whoopeeee!! ;)
    "If the Republicans will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop
    telling the truth about them." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
    “I’m not liberal/conservative, I’m anti-idiotarian.”
    At some point in the last 20 years, the left moved to the center, and the right moved into a mental institution

I have absolutely no idea what this is, but let's have a party.
    "Friendships come in strange packages
    The best ones are opened with a smile"

NA4BH '15

A party sounds fun!

Basically, most of the Internet right now uses IPv4 addresses -- your home Internet connection, this website, everything. There is a limited # of these addresses, in fact, in most regions of the world all the IPv4 addresses available have already been assigned to providers. Soon there will be no more addresses available, though I admit that's a bit of an alarmist thing to say -- a lot of these addresses are simply inactive. IPv6 is a new addressing scheme that also comes with some new features, but most importantly the # of addresses available is virtually unlimited.

I know some HamIsland nerds might want to add their own technical details to my description, but this is a high level overview.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPv6

I hope my oldish router can deal with the changeover. I'd rather not have to replace it right now.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Everything is so bright, and sparkly!

Quote Originally Posted by KJ6BSO View Post
    I hope my oldish router can deal with the changeover. I'd rather not have to replace it right now.
    No hurry, I should have been more clear. Everything will work fine with the old IPv4.. most everyone will be running 'dual stack' (IPv4 & IPv6 at the same time) for the very foreseeable future.. forever, maybe.