Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: W. Riley Hollingsworth named CQ contributing editor

W. Riley Hollingsworth named CQ contributing editor

He will now be writing the a new column called "Riley's Ramblings" which succeeds the "Washington Readout" column which was written by now silent key Fred, W5YI.

http://cqnewsroom.blogspot.com/

Riley Hollingsworth, K4ZDH, Named CQ Contributing Editor
    Succeeds Fred Maia, W5YI (Silent Key)

(Hicksville, NY) April 17, 2012 -- Retired FCC amateur radio enforcement chief Riley Hollingsworth, K4ZDH, has been named a CQ magazine contributing editor, it was announced today by CQ Editor Rich Moseson, W2VU. Hollingsworth will succeed "Washington Readout" editor Fred Maia, W5YI, who recently became a Silent Key.

Good for Riley.

Now I wish the FCC would name someone with enough balls to fix the ongoing problems in both the Part 95 and the Part 97 services.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Quote Originally Posted by N8YX View Post
    Good for Riley.

Now I wish the FCC would name someone with enough balls to fix the ongoing problems in both the Part 95 and the Part 97 services.
    Fred .....are you saying there is a problem with scofflaws in the Amateur radio bands?? :)
    Why,driving into a brick wall at 60 miles per hour, would I expect it not to hurt! :roll:

Walk and Talk like a Canajun!!

Quote Originally Posted by VE7DCW View Post
    Fred .....are you saying there is a problem with scofflaws in the Amateur radio bands?? :)
    Yes! Blame (Industry) Canada! ;)

Last edited by NQ6U; 04-17-2012 at 11:21 PM.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Riley is/was an AM'er. I and other AM'ers occasionally talked with him on 75 meter AM back when he was still working for the FCC enforcement. It was kind of funny talking with an FCC guy because as a kid when I used to mess with CB the last thing anyone wanted was to have to talk to anyone in the FCC. Of course such talks didn't occur on the air. Rather they were initiated by an FCC person standing at the front door requesting to inspect the station.

In any even Riley is a great guy and did some REAL enforcement. We need someone like that in the FCC today. I am sure he will make a great contributing editor for CQ. I might even subscribe to the journal so I can read his comments. And who knows. If he dresses well he may even get to write for GQ as well.;)
    Last edited by n2ize; 04-18-2012 at 05:39 AM.
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.

I have to agree, John. Riley had his heart in it. Laura... I dunno.

Quote Originally Posted by N2RJ View Post
    Laura is a political hack, plain and simple. Her office has swiftly dealt with numerous AM/FM/TVBCB matters involving illegal and/or improper operation, but as far as recent actions against 47 CFR 95/97 violations are concerned?

In Dave's terms: Crickets.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

When he was still working for the FCC & giving speeches, Riley said something along the lines that he was approached to take the Enforcement job, and since he was a ham (not just an FCC staffer), he wanted to make a difference. (Forgive my faulty memory for not recalling his exact words, but that was the gist of it).

He did.

I don't know much about Laura Smith, but now that she's been on the job for a few years, she leaves me feeling... underwhelmed. Unimpressed? The proof, as they say, is in the pudding... and the severe drop off & near-lack of enforcement in the Amateur service since she assumed the position speaks for itself.
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 300!!!!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Quote Originally Posted by W3WN View Post
    Riley said something along the lines that he was approached to take the Enforcement job, and since he was a ham (not just an FCC staffer), he wanted to make a difference. (Forgive my faulty memory for not recalling his exact words, but that was the gist of it).
    "We won’t stop or even slow down until
    you can be perfectly comfortable leaving the rig on in the house
    or the car, demonstrating it to your niece or your neighbor
    without sweating bullets over what you are going to hear on the
    rig."

Ryan .....you mean there's a chance that Laura Smith can be ever be a contributing editor of anything?? ......... NOT!! :rofl:
    Why,driving into a brick wall at 60 miles per hour, would I expect it not to hurt! :roll:

Walk and Talk like a Canajun!!