Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ray Tracy, Ham Radio Detective

Ray Tracy, Ham Radio Detective

Mea Culpa, I'm a very junior partner in this crime novelette -- Zone of Iniquity --written by ARRL editor Ward Silver, N0AX. I designed ZOI's cover and provided sundry graphic adornments to Ward's first Ray Tracy Adventure, hopefully the beginning of a beautiful relationship akin to that of mystery writer Dick Francis and the genius who decided what color to print the covers during Francis' thirty year run of whodunnit best sellers. I met N0AX a couple of Dayton Hamfests ago and we've since played catch with the notion of some kinda collaboration until this materialized. Zone of Iniquity is a regular old time non-graphic novel, but cover aside, I added my visual 2 cents and had a ball. I must say though, Dash!-Free Zone as it is, Zone of Iniquity is something OM Dashiell Hammett himself couldn't have pulled off without a code test. So if any of you hams cotton to crime stories on wry, you might enjoy Ward's new book. Check it out now at Lulu.com.

PS The map is a circa 50s ARRL Azimuthal DX map from a private collection. The title page shows a bit more, darkly, in the manner of noir cartography.
    ZOI cover 800.jpg
    Last edited by Jeff K1NSS; 04-15-2012 at 04:22 PM.

Tnx L.King!

A crystal skull... hmmm. What frequency does it resonate at?
    "The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA
    Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.

Quote Originally Posted by kb2vxa View Post
    And can we change it with a elbow grease?
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ6BSO View Post
    And can we change it with a elbow grease?
    Yes, an elbow grease pencil.

Hey Jeff! Apropos of nothing but your avatar, I was at the Mingei Museum in San Diego last week and saw something that made me think of you, so took a couple of photos. All I had with me was my cell phone so the quality is so-so, but I thought you might like them.

Attachment 5670Attachment 5671
    Last edited by NQ6U; 04-15-2012 at 10:02 PM.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Quote Originally Posted by kb2vxa View Post
    Yo Warren, GE, ever with the "answer graphic", bravo!

A brain pan doesn't resonate, it reasonates, from DC to Daylight, with sole exception of the amateur radio spectrum.

Last edited by Jeff K1NSS; 04-15-2012 at 09:08 PM.

Hey Carl, GE, yep that's "The Maneki Neko (招き猫?, literally "Beckoning Cat"; also known as Welcoming Cat, Lucky Cat, Money cat, or Fortune Cat) is a common Japanese sculpture, often made of ceramic, which is believed to bring good luck to the owner. I came across it while looking up lucky symbols for the lucky contest mugs and thought it was a nice change from Dash! and maybe might make a cool Japanese cousin character for the boy. Funny, a new Japanese Facebook friend posted a picture he took of Maneki Neko and Tanuki figurines at his local garden center. Maybe I can find it .
    Last edited by Jeff K1NSS; 04-15-2012 at 09:09 PM.

There was a whole boatload of them there, some pretty cool, but I was worried about getting busted taking photos—museums are fussy about that sometimes. Naturally, on the way out, I saw a sign that said photos were okay as long as you didn't use a flash.