Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hum in tx

SK Member 8/11/2015

Hum in tx

I have been told by two stations that I have a bad hum in my transmissions.Any ideas?

We're going to need a lot more details. List of equipment, etc.
    "People Who Don't Want Their Beliefs Laughed at Shouldn't Have Such Funny Beliefs" -AD5MB

"If someone tells you he believes in and talks to an invisible bunny named Harvey, you put him on medication and a regimen of therapy. If someone tells you he believes in and talks to God, well, that's perfectly acceptable. Why that's the case is impossible for me to fathom." - WP2XX

Latest ClubLog entries.

SK Member 8/11/2015
    I have a Radio Shack HTX-10,25 watts.It's hooked to an inverted v antenna,and hooked to a MFJ 4312 powersupply.

Quote Originally Posted by kk4fpx View Post
    I have a Radio Shack HTX-10,25 watts.It's hooked to an inverted v antenna,and hooked to a MFJ 4312 powersupply.
    My first suspect would be the Mighty Fine Junk power supply. Can you try powering it from a car battery or another power supply?
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Yes. Test it on another power supply. If that fixes it then you'll need to change the big caps in the PS. This can be dangerous as you'll need to make sure they are completely discharged. Yep, they pack a smack that could kill you. Don't ask me how.
    A band-aid that might work for a while would be to ground the PS and radio separately.
    As for the antenna, some people are for grounding the shield leg, some are not.

SK Member 8/11/2015
    I was just talking to a station on California.He told me to put my finger on the mike plug . He said that it worked.next?

Quote Originally Posted by kk4fpx View Post
    I was just talking to a station on California.He told me to put my finger on the mike plug . He said that it worked.next?
    Ground the radio and PS separately.

SK Member 8/11/2015
    Not sure how to do that.

SK Member 8/11/2015
    I saved the site.I'll go over it later.Thanks