Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 10 meter beam

SK Member 8/11/2015

10 meter beam

Anyone know if its ok to use two different dia for the REF and the DE?

SK Member 8/11/2015
    It's a two element.

Yes, it is. You won't really get into problems with L/D ratios using normally available element tubing until you get into the VHF region. One can model the effects using NEC or similar software.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

It's kind of interesting because SteppIR kinda does this with its trombone style elements.

I was talking to K7IR and he was telling me that with the DB36 they were basically "modeling the piss out of it" and they found that not only did they save space and the gain difference between a full size and the trombone was not that much... but that the F/B was actually BETTER because the trombone had better capacitive coupling with the other elements close to it. Now I wish I got one... well, there's always room for another tower. :)

Tapered elements like you get when you use telescoping tubing can affect how an antenna behaves but I don't think that using a reflector that's a different diameter from the driven element would matter much. It might tune a little differently but there would be no major difference in the pattern.
    Last edited by NQ6U; 04-09-2012 at 02:56 PM.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

SK Member 8/11/2015
    I'm trying to use what I've got on hand.I think I'm going to have to use the bigger dia for the driver because of the length.How close should the two haves of the driver need to be and is the gap concidered part of the overall length?

Quote Originally Posted by kk4fpx View Post
    I'm trying to use what I've got on hand.I think I'm going to have to use the bigger dia for the driver because of the length.How close should the two haves of the driver need to be and is the gap concidered part of the overall length?
    At HF, a difference of 1/4" or less is desirable. The gap is part of the overall length.

What type of matching arrangement are you considering? If you employ one that allows for grounding of the driven element to the boom, the antenna will be a lot less susceptible to static noise (QRN).
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

SK Member 8/11/2015
    I am planing on just useing a poor mans coiled balun and hope I acn get a match.

SK Member 8/11/2015
    Never mind.I don't have as much tubing as I thought.So.... I'm going to try a horizontal vee dipole.

Hmmm. I've made these for 6 meters... they are easy to do.

http://www.moxonantennaproject.com/index.html
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman