Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marathons

Marathons

I don't know sometimes what's worse... spouses, or kids. Either way, they drive you meshugah.

I just found out an hour ago that my son is coming in from DC to run in the Pittsburgh Marathon on May 6th. So why didn't he tell me earlier? Well, he told his mother, months ago. He figured she told me... she figured I already knew.

Enough to drive you right up the fershligener wall.

I don't usually "do" the Marathon... I just can't volunteer for everything. This year, I may have to make an exception.

At least the "good" news -- part of the early course crosses the bridge right in front of work, and a later leg goes past about 2 blocks away. So if I have to volunteer, and now I probably do, I can try and get stationed near the building. Park my gear here on Saturday and not have to fight traffic restrictions on Sunday morning. We shall see.

...and I'm sure if we're already downtown, wife & daughter will want to go the home Pirate game at 1:30 as well...
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 300!!!!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

If you spread yourself any thinner, we'd have to call you Marg (arine)
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL

Quote Originally Posted by K7SGJ View Post
    If you spread yourself any thinner, we'd have to call you Marg (arine)
    You owe Don Rickles a royalty for that joke. About $.02
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.

Cutch 300!!!!!

Silent Key Member 5-25-2015 W1GUH's Avatar
    Thanks for the Yiddish lesson. But did you actually mean furshlugginer? Google didn't turn up anything with your spelling. And, very cool, made popular by Mad Magazine! The unimpeachable journal that also brought Potrzebie to us! (Haven't heard or read THAT word for decades.) Now we all can feel slightly more literate.

As for margarine...

"I need oleo for my bungholio!"

As for marathons, I once ran 26.2 feet. Then quit...didn't see the point. Went and worked some 26 meters.
    Last edited by W1GUH; 04-12-2012 at 07:52 PM.
    If it's a war on drugs, then free the POW's.

Here's the only Marathon I've ever been involved with:

Last edited by NQ6U; 04-12-2012 at 09:42 PM.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

My first marathon was one of these.

Seriously, i am probably the fattest ham operator who ran marathons as well. I could do a 5K in 24 minutes, a 10K in 55 minutes. My best time was 4:20:xx which was my second Columbus marathon. My worse time was just under 5 hours for the Air Force (way too many hills). I have not run in 10 years. The only place I run to these days is the bathroom. It is not really a huge challenge for fat ham operators to run a marathon, just do mindful preparation. I only did not finish one marathon attempt. I was to busy talking to volunteers on 2m simplex on my walkie talkie, I failed to see the parked car that I slammed into. 6 stitches later, and a permanently bruised ego I was ok.

cul de n8tb
    "Sadly, it always takes a few martyrs to get the ball rolling." Colonel Tim Boldman 2001
    "There are no differences but differences of degree between different degrees of difference and no difference."--William James
    "Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings." Victor J. Stenger

Quote Originally Posted by W1GUH View Post
    Thanks for the Yiddish lesson. But did you actually mean furshlugginer? < snip >
    Well strictly speaking, the word is transliterated, so there's not really an "official" spelling in English, but yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by W1GUH View Post
    < snip >As for marathons, I once ran 26.2 feet. Then quit...didn't see the point. Went and worked some 26 meters.
    Reminds me of something...

Several years ago, the late John Cigna of KDKA-AM was challenged to run in a race (I think a 10 K?) that the station was involved in. There was an on-air bet between some of the radio personalities as to whether or not he would go through with it, let alone complete it.

The day of the race comes, and sure enough, it is announced that John Cigna completed the race. So the next Monday morning, during his show, there's some taped interviews with this guy, and that guy, and so forth, all of whom are amazed that John Cigna completed the race. And, of course, each person is asked to state their name at the end.

So the last interview comes, and a young man is talking about how much fun he had in the event, and how proud he was to finish.

"And your name, sir?" (Drumroll, please!)

"John Cigna. Junior."

BAN THE DH!

Cutch 300!!!!!

I agree with Tim re: Marathons - do they still make those? Used to love 'em as a kid.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Marathon? There was this exchange student from England, oh wait you're talking about running. As a doctor friend once said, about exercising, "Your heart is programmed to beat "X" number of times, why speed it up". LOL
    "Friendships come in strange packages
    The best ones are opened with a smile"

NA4BH '15