Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: add on speaker

SK Member 8/11/2015

add on speaker

Anyone know if there is a low priced communications speaker that improves sound quality? I know cleartone is advertised as having better sound than built in speakers.

Home or auto?
    Look for odd speakers at Goodwill stores in the junk pile.
    I found a KLH model 2410 center channel speaker for 6 bucks at one. Sounds great on the scanner, SWLing and general comms listening. For the HF rig, after trying several things, the BEST speaker was a Kenwood SP-31. Not cheap.

Ed/Edward

I have an external speaker for you (very compact). Geeze, you aren't that far from me. See how you like it. I have one hooked up to my Yazoo 1000MP MKV and have enjoyed it for years.

If you like it's only $1,000,000
    If you don't like it $2,000,000

na4bh@arrl.net (or .com which one is it)?
    "Friendships come in strange packages
    The best ones are opened with a smile"

NA4BH '15

Silent Key Member 5-25-2015 W1GUH's Avatar
    For the car? Plug into the aux input on the sound system, if there is one. For home, computer speakers. Works fine, unless your preference is for tinny "communications" audio. Can't get more inexpensive than that!
    If it's a war on drugs, then free the POW's.

Charles is right. I find decent used old school bookshelf speakers at the second hand store. Smallish ones work well. Disconnect the tweeter and put a resistor (1 or two watt) in it's place. A two way with a small woofer is great. I've used Bose 301's that way. Outstanding. Current favorite is a small Yamaha bookshelf speaker.

The 301's got new woofers and tweeters from Madisound, and are at my girlfriend's house. She was amazed at how much better her "compact stereo" sounds now.
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

The old Radio Shack Minimus series also make a great choice.

I have 6 SP-3s and 9 MS-7s in the shack at present. What I'm planning to do is to build a few multi-channel mixer/amps (similar to the now-discontinued NCS-3230) and feed 6 rigs into each...then drive a pair of the SP3s with each of them. I may end up swapping the stock Icom speaker for a 4" automotive version which has just a bit better bass response.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Remember a communications speaker is not a "hi-fi" speaker. Many smaller woofers are an excellent choice. Check out this response curve, eh?

This 4" driver is under $20.00.

http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com...er-color-cone/

Having used hi-fi speakers & amps (Had a Minimus on the 'S3a - was GREAT for AM!) for radio for at least 20 years now, to my ears, they beat the crap out of "communications" speakers. The high and low ends are basically not there in normal SSB, and for AM, the extra highs are sweet! Never, ever had a problem with excessive noise or hum, even with old BA's. And this option probably doesn't cost anything at all! In the car, the sound system will provide ample volume over road noise.

Yea... but even on eSSB and AM, the highs don't have to be that high. Jazzy stuff on the vibraharp, sure.

Just an extra "bump" somewhere in the 6-10k range works for me, and cut it off after that. Of course I have an EQ on the RX and that helps a lot as well. I'm sure our ears are different, everybody's are. I've lost a little of my high frequency response. But at least the tinnitus I got from chemo is almost gone now. That really bugged the crap out of me.

Yea... but even on eSSB and AM, the highs don't have to be that high.
    Wish more people would take that to heart.