Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: FCC Seeks Comments on Impediments to Amateur Radio Communications

FCC Seeks Comments on Impediments to Amateur Radio Communications

DA 12-523, Released April 2, 2012
    COMMISSION SEEKS COMMENT ON EMERGENCY COMMUNICATIONS BY AMATEUR
    RADIO AND IMPEDIMENTS TO AMATEUR RADIO COMMUNICATIONS

GN Docket No. 12-91

Comment Date: May 17, 2012
    By this Public Notice, the Federal Communications Commission's Wireless Telecommunications Bureau and Public Safety and Homeland Security Bureau seek comment on the uses and capabilities of Amateur Radio Service communications in emergencies and disaster relief. As set forth below, comment is sought on issues relating to the importance of emergency Amateur Radio Service communications and on impediments to enhanced Amateur Radio Service communications. Stakeholder entities and organizations, include the Amateur Radio, emergency response, and disaster communications communities, are particularly encouraged to submit comments.
    Last edited by W3WN; 04-03-2012 at 11:58 AM.
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 300!!!!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Orca Whisperer
    Hm... Have to digest this one. There are some "catches" I see, like "offering" to link hospitals to amateur bands...
    Big Giant Meteor 2020 - We need to make Earth Great Again

http://www.coreyreichle.com

Orca Whisperer
    I have no idea how to submit comments, but I do believe that one rule change that could increase amateur radio's usage in emergency situations is to remove the data speed limit for our bands.

Right now, there is an artificial limit placed us, by baud rate. It should be ruled merely by bandwidth.

An example, why should data rates on HF be limited to 300 baud? Why not just limit the signal to the bandwidth that of an SSB (Or AM) signal? Why is there ANY limit on 6M and below?

Another impediment is the lack of PRB-1 applying to amateur stations. PRB-1 should be expanded to include all antenna for use in a licensed (By rule, or by issuance) operator.

Master Navigator
    The biggest impediment to effective use of ham radio in emergencies is ham radio operators.

Quote Originally Posted by KC2UGV View Post
    I have no idea how to submit comments, < snip >
    No problem. It's all in the document, on Page 4:
    Electronic Filers: Comments may be filed electronically using the Internet by accessing the
    They also ask that the reply comments should be organized by the headings used in the document.

That said, I think by "impediments" they're thinking of regulatory ones... such as zoning restrictions, CC&R's, and other such legal posturing.

“Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 300!!!!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Quote Originally Posted by w0aew View Post
    The biggest impediment to effective use of ham radio in emergencies is ham radio operators.

^^^^This^^^^
    "People Who Don't Want Their Beliefs Laughed at Shouldn't Have Such Funny Beliefs" -AD5MB

"If someone tells you he believes in and talks to an invisible bunny named Harvey, you put him on medication and a regimen of therapy. If someone tells you he believes in and talks to God, well, that's perfectly acceptable. Why that's the case is impossible for me to fathom." - WP2XX

Latest ClubLog entries.

That's funny, smells like someone mentioned regulation by bandwidth in here.
    Probably just a lingering stench though.
    whew! Strong too.
    ;)

"Bacon, Beans and Limousines"
    "Actually, it's a Democratic Republic; Democratic comes first".
    Please don't confuse my personality with my attitude. My personality is obviously me, But my attitude depends largely upon you.

Orca Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by ki4itv View Post
    That's funny, smells like someone mentioned regulation by bandwidth in here.
    Probably just a lingering stench though.
    whew! Strong too.
    ;)
    Sort of. I figure if an AM signal is allowed, then why not a 24.4K baud digital signal, if they occupy the same bandwidth?

Quote Originally Posted by KC2UGV View Post
    Sort of. I figure if an AM signal is allowed, then why not a 24.4K baud digital signal, if they occupy the same bandwidth?
    Will the 24.4K baud digital signal originate from a device capable of signal detection so as to avoid QRM to existing QSO's?
    Will the operator of said device actually use that signal detection?
    Will a control operator be present, or will the fictitious "semi-automatic" scheme be utilized?
    Will these digital signals be allowed in the same sement of spectrum as say, SSB? Incompatible modes will create problems.

It smells like another attempt at a spectrum grab by the ARRL and its dirty winlink associates. I reckon Waterman and his goons have been crying to the ARRL and the FCC for a little longer than 10 years now. It seems a logical time for the FCC to finally do something. Of course, the FCC knows little or nothing about amateur radio, so expect a total clusterboink when they do.

Other than that, I really have no opinion on this.
    QAnon / GOP Republicans mentally lack the necessary intelligence to even tell a decent lie (Ex: A cabal of Satanic, cannibalistic pedophiles run a global child sex trafficking ring and conspired against former President Dotard dRUMPf during his term in office... Jewish space lasers, etc.). What in the hell makes anyone believe these melon heads can actually govern?

Quote Originally Posted by w0aew View Post

It proves Whackers have an enormously narrow comfort zone that will give new meaning to "entertainment" for us of the masses that will enjoy the potentiel cryfest on QRZ ........ **cue Chuckles and WINLINK sympathy** ....this will be fun!
    Why,driving into a brick wall at 60 miles per hour, would I expect it not to hurt! :roll:

Walk and Talk like a Canajun!!