Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: inverted v antenna

And there ya go. Simple works quite well, eh?
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

Some times, simple is the most fun of all.
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL

Quote Originally Posted by K7SGJ View Post
    Some times, simple is the most fun of all.
    That's why people think I'm so much fun!
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

The Zen Stupidity of Ralph.

And of course, good 'ol Zippy.

"Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

Quote Originally Posted by N2RJ View Post
    There is a catch. Yes you can do that but you'll have nulls on the higher bands. It won't be omni.

But yes, it works in a pinch.
    It works in more than a pinch. Other designs may work better depending on circumstances but, It's about one of the single best general purpose antennas you can install because it's simple, very inexpensive, multiband, and, if properly built, will give you a more than respectable signal. The important part is to get it up at least 60 feet or higher at the feed point. The ends should be anchored at least 15 - 20 feet off the ground. All to often beginner (or even some advanced) hams will set it up so that its only 10 - 20 feet off the ground at the feed point and the ends are almost laying on the ground and they'll match it to the transmitter with a balun. Then they wonder why their signal is locked in their back yard.

It won't be truly omni the higher up you go it may have some nulls but in the directions where it is effective it will give you a very respectable signal and will get you working some good DX.

My installation was far from perfect, a lot of twists and bends coming through the tree branches. The feed point was quite high up but the ends were anchored much lower than they should have been. Yet I was consistently amazed at the overall performance, even on the higher freqs..
    Last edited by n2ize; 04-05-2012 at 02:46 PM.
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.