Thread: The G-66 is alive....

Silent Key Member 5-25-2015 W1GUH's Avatar

The G-66 is alive....

And sounds good, at least the BC band. And dial calibration is pretty close -- sounds like it's ready to go. Will be using it with the '67 up in Kripplebush tomorrow!

And, ahhhh..., when hams and manufacturers were closer together. The jacks on the receiver have no markings & the book (at least the one I've got) has no diagram that labels them. Ya gotta read the text to know which is the antenna jack -- and it's the kind that car radios use. Sure glad I had a jumper that I made for the Super-12, something else I'm anxious to try in the car.

Now, to test the DC part of the PS. Wonder what the odds that the vibrator is still good? Hmmmm....is using a "vibrator" legal while driving? huh-huh
    If it's a war on drugs, then free the POW's.

Quote Originally Posted by W1GUH View Post
    And sounds good, at least the BC band. And dial calibration is pretty close -- sounds like it's ready to go. Will be using it with the '67 up in Kripplebush tomorrow!

And, ahhhh..., when hams and manufacturers were closer together. The jacks on the receiver have no markings & the book (at least the one I've got) has no diagram that labels them. Ya gotta read the text to know which is the antenna jack -- and it's the kind that car radios use. Sure glad I had a jumper that I made for the Super-12, something else I'm anxious to try in the car.

Now, to test the DC part of the PS. Wonder what the odds that the vibrator is still good? Hmmmm....is using a "vibrator" legal while driving? huh-huh

so fah, so FB!

Quote Originally Posted by W1GUH View Post

Sounds like fun Paul.

Silent Key Member 5-25-2015 W1GUH's Avatar
    Sure is! Took the '66 up to Jeff's today & it sounds very good on both AM and SSB. SSB without a filter sounds so nice. Well, until someone sneaks in within the passband and become QRM! "Almost" worked a 9 out in IL, but there was a carrier on the freq., so copy was not possible. But the '67 was heard! Will be taking the whole setup up to Jeff's next week.
    If it's a war on drugs, then free the POW's.

Wednesday was Gonset Receiver Day at K1NSS Boat Anchor Air Corps HQ

PATCH ART rev01 800.jpg

That was yesterday.

Today we're bolting some cherry China Clipper pontoons (discovered last weekend at a Boeing yard sale) onto a modded Super Skyrider, just one of our growing squadron of flying boatanchor iron. Metric ton by metric ton, we're getting close to take-off.

Dash! The Dog-Faced Ham's Militarily/Industrially Not-So-Complex-Yet-Identically-English Cousin Col. M. Night "The Royal Ascot" Spanmaster is now in charge, wholly dependent on lovably irascible, solder gun slingin', long haired, blunt-smoking hippy W1 "The Chief" GUH to keep 'em flying.

As BACC Air Viceroy, Col. Spanmaster has more strategic matters to which he simply must attend, primarily his wardrobe. To that end, Spanmaster executed his first command decision, bringing on board the recently decomissioned designer of Col Muammar Muhammad Abu Minyar al-Gaddafi's uniforms to freshen-up his own already flashy duds, and to become curator Spanmaster's important collection of Cartier swagger sticks, Dunhill cigarette holders and equestrian/amateur radio themed Hames silk neckware.

Official portraits of the players will be issued soon, in additon to a full color program and details how you can enlist.

Until then, we offer this look at yesterday's activities at Hangar D!, BAAC Ground Support HQ.

gonset day.jpgGonset front.jpgGonset innards 01.jpg
    Gonset innards 02.jpg
    Last edited by Jeff K1NSS; 03-29-2012 at 11:09 AM.

Boat Anchor Air Corps? Man, some of them old radios would need eight P&W R-4360s just to get 'em Rollin' down the runway.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ6BSO View Post
    Boat Anchor Air Corps? Man, some of them old radios would need eight P&W R-4360s just to get 'em Rollin' down the runway.
    Ha!

We're all about Heavy Lifting, Col. Spanmaster not withstanding

I was actually wondering what powered the Spruce Goose and hadn't got around to looking it up...tnx Carl!

Jeeze, what a beautifuil thing, the "Corncob" really does look more like it was more grown than built. A little reverse engineered Alien prop technology?

Might have to up the HP to 5000 for some of these birds...perhaps one of the only two ever built of these Lycomings might turn up at our local surplus store.
    http://www.nasm.si.edu/collections/a...d=A19781379000

Last edited by Jeff K1NSS; 03-29-2012 at 03:37 PM.

Dayum, that thing looks like it needs a couple of RATTYO packs!
    "The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA
    Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.