Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AM in the AM, Knock on Wood

AM in the AM, Knock on Wood

This AM Paul W1GUH is hauling up the power supply to this dense little neutron star of a classic, and with luck, we're gonna check it out on the air. Paul had it in the trunk last time he was here and I asked if it could stay behind a bit so I could take some pictures. Maybe tomorrow I'll take some inside shots. As a high school ham I recall a college ham driving by my house to show off his car and radio. Forgot the car exactly, I'm thinking maybe super UNloaded Mustang, but I sure do remember the radio, one of these, with companion RX.

Today I half set up a 160 inverted V fed with 600 ohn ladder line in prep for AM in the AM, probably 75 and 40 most likely bets. This latest wire replaces a 40 meter Inv V. One 125 foot #14 leg came off at the apex connection under some stress. This leg will be totally in the clear about 35-40 ft up. With not much daylight left, I let it be and moved on to the more difficult leg, which needed threading through branches of some XXL mother blue spruces because while there's no shortage of property here, I discovered that it happens to terminate inconveniently were the remaining leg was gonna go. That leg alone brought in loud signals from NH last night, one 40+ not so very far from my old Seacoast QTH. Called CQ but no dice, maybe the other half of the antenna will help. Repair should be no big deal at all before Paul drags the rest of this cat in. Gonna feed it via buried coax to Paul's Johnson Matchbox at the base of the center support tree. Be nice to excite a 450-TH modulated by pair of 811As. Maybeome of that is also buried in the strata of W1GUH's trunk.

Hey, like Christmas only it's almost Easter.

Multi-Elmac-AF-67web.jpg
    Last edited by Jeff K1NSS; 03-14-2012 at 12:25 AM.

I'm trans-excitered for youse guys.

Watch those pine branches, pine needles absorb more RF than leaves.
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

Ah so. All that extra surface area, like the Maine coast. Hopefully the other side will make up for it. There are other dog-leg options, but this was a sundown decision and changes can be made.

My lower band(s) antenna is toast. Wind and ice storms.

I'm too busy skiing on my days off to care for now.

Quote Originally Posted by WØTKX View Post
    My lower band(s) antenna is toast. Wind and ice storms.

I'm too busy skiing on my days off to care for now.

A skiing ham? Now I've heard everything. Nothing good can come of all that exercise and fresh air. At some point, you're bound to have some human contact. I'm telling ya Jean Claude Kilohertz....IT'S A SLIPPERY SLOPE!

Skiing is kinda my muse. I taught full time at Breckenridge for a decade. Me likey moguls (bumps) and powder. Once in a while I'll carry an HT with me and see what repeaters I can hit when up way up top.

So that's why my current avatar is fitting... but my title of "moderator" is kind of boring. :stickpoke:

Having the equipment to get on AM is only half the formula. To be an AM'er you have to look, act, and sound like an AM'er.
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.

Quote Originally Posted by WØTKX View Post
    So that's why my current avatar is fitting... but my title of "moderator" is kind of boring. :stickpoke:
    I think we can do custom tags for staff as well..."Ski Bunny"... :rofl:
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Silent Key Member 5-25-2015 W1GUH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by n2ize View Post
    Having the equipment to get on AM is only half the formula. To be an AM'er you have to look, act, and sound like an AM'er.
    So when you gonna get that dipole up, John? You've expended lots of bits, bytes, bw, and pixels talking about it. Ever gonna do the deed?
    If it's a war on drugs, then free the POW's.

Silent Key Member 5-25-2015 W1GUH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff K1NSS View Post
    A skiing ham? Now I've heard everything. Nothing good can come of all that exercise and fresh air. At some point, you're bound to have some human contact. I'm telling ya Jean Claude Kilohertz....IT'S A SLIPPERY SLOPE!
    Maybe that's why my interest waned a few years ago. Used to be at Hunter every weekend but somehow haven't had the motivation lately.
    If it's a war on drugs, then free the POW's.