Thread: FT-101 in contest action

FT-101 in contest action

Started out the contest with my Icom 706mkIIg and after 5 qso's had an issue with rf feedback and the LDG tuner. No time to troubleshoot so I switched over to the FT-101 and the MFJ 949 and continued on 40m. I was eventually joined by Greg, W9IKU and we shared the frequency and rag chewed a bit during lulls in activity

I am surprised at such a sudden deterioration in a woman whose only ailment was a lazy anus.

An original '101' - not a B or later suffix? Rare bird...
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Quote Originally Posted by N8YX View Post
    An original '101' - not a B or later suffix? Rare bird...
    Yep. Eau Claire radio club auction several year ago. I stayed to the bitter end and was one of less than 18 or so people left. This was the last thing to come out from under a table. Only one other guy bidding and Ellen AF9J egging me on and I got it for $80 or $85. Came with a spare set of tubes. It wa the only thing I bought that day.
    I am surprised at such a sudden deterioration in a woman whose only ailment was a lazy anus.

A coworker/ham friend of mine related an experience he had at an area truckstop/CB radio shop in the early 70s: FT-101s were being carted in and out of the place by the dolly full. Estimates put overall sales of the 101/B/E/F series in the U.S. to be in excess of 1 million units, yet at the time there were ~500,000 licensed U.S. hams.

Quite a few CB people in this area used a 101-series transceiver. Another guy south of Canton ran a converted FT-901DM on 11 and the father of a nearby friend had a loaded TR7 - this in 1980 when the rig by itself cost $1500.

As far as I know, none of them ever joined the ham ranks.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Better than running a sweep tube 11 meter amp... cleaner signal!

Well, unless you fooked with it.
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

The 101 is a neat rig to play with, but I wouldn't recommend using it in something like CQWW down in the middle of the crowd...the rx will fold up like a wet blanket.
    When the government's boot is on your throat, whether it is a left boot or a right boot is of no consequence. — GARY LLOYD

The nation we live in is the nation we have built by design, each successive generation raising the wall of tyranny a little higher. - Chris Griffin

"Quite a few CB people in this area used a 101-series transceiver."

Interesting you brought that up, just clip the yellow wire and the relay will close with the band switch in the 11M position. I knew The Breeze, a CBer smarter than the average bear who used one and the matching FL-2100 amp when he need that extra kick. The kid really knew what he was doing, AM sounded fine as did SSB with not a speck of cereal, that is to say a clean signal without splattering across the band like some others that sounded like they were using a cheese grater for a microphone IF you could figure out which channel they were on.

Once upon a time I had a 101EE but not licensed for HF it made a nice receiver, a pretty good one too. BTW I like my Mark but I'm rather annoyed at now being sans antennas but maybe some day I'll get even.
    "The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA
    Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.

With proper modification those 101's can sound awesome on AM with a nice freq response from DC right on up to the upper fringe of human hearing and beyond.
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.

The only problem with that is excessive occupied bandwidth and since "AM" is carrier inserted sideband SSB would be broad as a barn door as well. That's what got the WSSB crowd in northern NJ in trouble when numerous complaints were filed and the FCC sent out wolf tickets. Not a problem for those who know what an EQ or something as simple as a switchable M derived pi section low pass filter is for when you don't have a good slice of the band all to yourself.
    "The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA
    Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.