Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bluegrass

Bluegrass

One of these days I hope to roam the country in search of meeting with bluegrass flddlers. I am trying to learn some Bluegrass fiddle. There are many different variations and techniques and I would stand to learn a great deal by traveling and meeting with fiddlers who play Bluegrass.
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.

I got turned on to this band a few days ago. They were on NPR, Garrison Keilor's show...

http://youtu.be/gk62UAM7Hpk

"Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

Hey, Denver is the home of what has to be one of the best bluegrass bands ever—Hot Rize. Those guys are awesome:

as is their alter ego, Red Knuckles and the Trailblazers:

All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Oh yea, I saw them at a show in the mountains a few years back... Tasty!

Well then, you must visit, or check out some youtube video of, The Gospel Chicken House run by the Pollard family right down the road in Montpelier, VA.
    Virginia is full of some great roots music, and it's a great contrast my exposure in the Missippi Delta.
    I kinda started to love that stuff.

"Bacon, Beans and Limousines"
    "Actually, it's a Democratic Republic; Democratic comes first".
    Please don't confuse my personality with my attitude. My personality is obviously me, But my attitude depends largely upon you.

Orca Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by n2ize View Post
    One of these days I hope to roam the country in search of meeting with bluegrass flddlers. I am trying to learn some Bluegrass fiddle. There are many different variations and techniques and I would stand to learn a great deal by traveling and meeting with fiddlers who play Bluegrass.
    Guy next store to me pays bluegrass fiddle and the ukulele. And, he's a ham. You ever want an intro, let me know.
    Big Giant Meteor 2020 - We need to make Earth Great Again

http://www.coreyreichle.com

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by n2ize View Post

When I was a kid, I hung at this guy's house several times. His daughter was killed in a car accident while i lived in Lawrence. Then I moved to Austin, TX over by George Strait, and his daughter was killed in an auto accident. I moved over to Chicago where there aren't any country music types.

Quote Originally Posted by WØTKX View Post
    I got turned on to this band a few days ago. They were on NPR, Garrison Keilor's show...

http://youtu.be/gk62UAM7Hpk

Nice stuff. Interesting bowing style. She hold the bow quite a ways up from the frog. Quite different than the way I was taught. However, i was taught to play classical as opposed to fol/county/bluegrass.

Yea, me too. I played violin when I was a kid.

Quote Originally Posted by WØTKX View Post
    Yea, me too. I played violin when I was a kid.
    I started when I was about 8 or 9, progressed to a certain point but never went much further. Then I played occasionally during my teens and early 20's and then gave up altogether for a very long time. Only recently, within the past year did I start again. Just recently bought a new fiddle as an incentive to keep learning.
    Last edited by n2ize; 03-15-2012 at 12:34 AM.