Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Limericks, anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by kb2vxa View Post
    There was a young ham called Paul
    Who was so exceedingly tall
    When he went to bed at night
    He could blink the light
    With the key in his shack down the hall.

There, that better? I'll bet he won the left foot contest too.
    Better. I was thinking of some way to, instead of blinking the light, keying the rig (QLF?) directly.
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 2K!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Quote Originally Posted by ab1ga View Post
    I loved those Newkirk articles, and fondly remember reading about the white-hot rettysnitch finding its mark.

But if I may make one suggestion: 'BRDs DXH&PDS meetings usually focused on a narrow topic, like the use of excessive power, or the change from using cps to Hz. It might help if you were to post some of the article topics you're thinking about to better focus our efforts.

I'm open to suggestions. I'm thinking of a narrow-minded lid who insists that only one style of digital operations should be allowed, or a frequency cop who believes that certain frequencies are owned by certain nets, and woe be it to anyone who thinks otherwise.

In addition, I'm considering the venue for the, er, meeting. Last time I wrote this, which has been quite awhile, I had the meeting "moved up" to take place in 3 Rivers Stadium, the morning it was to be blown up. And of course, the Lid of Dishonor was left behind to meet the same fate as the stadium. At present, the Civic Arena is partially demolished (they're dropping the ceiling dome petals one at a time) but still standing... can you say "squash!" ?? But if I can't come up with a good excuse, er, story, the meeting will take place at the usual venue, Paul Long Hall.

[Yes, the traditional DXH&PDS meeting took place at Long Hall. Paul Long was a very popular & distinguished local newscaster for WTAE-TV, who became a SK quite a few years back, so this was a small token to honor his memory. I need to figure out a way to do the same for Bill & Patty Burns (father & daughter, both worked at KDKA-TV), especially if (with Bill Burns) it involves winged rats, er, pigeons...]

Anyway, as I recall, the limericks did not neccesarily correlate to the Lid of Dishonor.

And there are other ways... for example, one year, I used a haiku, and then had the "audience" shout down & demolish the "poet" for not using a limerick.
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.

Cutch 2K!!

SK Member (10/28/2012) - Island Prude
    Quote Originally Posted by W3WN View Post
    Anyway, as I recall, the limericks did not neccesarily correlate to the Lid of Dishonor.

And there are other ways... for example, one year, I used a haiku, and then had the "audience" shout down & demolish the "poet" for not using a limerick.
    I'll have to check up on the correlation; the one I remembered had to do with QRO operating.
    The bit about the haiku was inspired, I wholly approve.

Some suggestions off the top of my head:

Shortest time elapsed from upgrade to General to time one says "I need an amp"
    Operating DX from countries without solid ground. (Arctic ice floes, anchored in place)
    "Five easy frequencies", on the trials of getting used to the 60m band. (Buy five rigs, work the whole band at once!)
    Ham dies at dinner table while rig earns 5BDXCC using JT65
    The DX Ragchew - a contest favorite
    "Messin' with the Bounce" - on HAARP and other molestation of the ionosphere
    LoTW hacking and award fraud
    Extreme work-em-first - getting to the top of honor roll by toppling weak regimes.

There was a young ham from Nantucket
    Who dropped his hand mike in a bucket
    People started to say
    You sound better that way
    He said so does Nantucket, fine business.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Quote Originally Posted by ab1ga View Post
    I'll have to check up on the correlation; the one I remembered had to do with QRO operating.
    The bit about the haiku was inspired, I wholly approve.

Some suggestions off the top of my head:

Shortest time elapsed from upgrade to General to time one says "I need an amp"
    Operating DX from countries without solid ground. (Arctic ice floes, anchored in place)
    "Five easy frequencies", on the trials of getting used to the 60m band. (Buy five rigs, work the whole band at once!)
    Ham dies at dinner table while rig earns 5BDXCC using JT65
    The DX Ragchew - a contest favorite
    "Messin' with the Bounce" - on HAARP and other molestation of the ionosphere
    LoTW hacking and award fraud
    Extreme work-em-first - getting to the top of honor roll by toppling weak regimes.

Oh, I think I'll pass on that one. My "buddy" Gert K5WW would take it very personally... since he's the only person I know of who's publicly admitted to fradulently acquiring a WAS via LotW. But some of these are inspired.

And, of course, the lid can simply be a bragging hot bag of wind who makes multiple claims... I believe that Rod did that once or twice.

BAN THE DH!

Cutch 2K!!

Quote Originally Posted by KJ6BSO View Post
    There was a young ham from Nantucket
    Who dropped his hand mike in a bucket
    People started to say
    You sound better that way
    He said so does Nantucket, fine business.
    I think we have here a weiner.

So, how do you want your fictional persona to perish?

Considering a comedy group we both admire, I think something should stop on a dime... which is, unfortunately, still in your pocket...
    Last edited by W3WN; 03-20-2012 at 07:34 PM.

BAN THE DH!

Cutch 2K!!

"Better. I was thinking of some way to, instead of blinking the light, keying the rig (QLF?) directly."
    I nearly burned out my brain trying to make that rhyme, so think kilowatt amp plugged into a 115V wall socket.

Oh, if you think we have a wiener put it in the tank coil so we can have a hot dog.
    "The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA
    Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.

Quote Originally Posted by kb2vxa View Post
    "Better. I was thinking of some way to, instead of blinking the light, keying the rig (QLF?) directly."
    I nearly burned out my brain trying to make that rhyme, so think kilowatt amp plugged into a 115V wall socket.

Oh, if you think we have a wiener put it in the tank coil so we can have a hot dog.
    I'll come up with something on those lines.

BAN THE DH!

Cutch 2K!!