Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brazil Forbids Future DXPeditions to PY0S St. Peter & Paul archipelago

Brazil Forbids Future DXPeditions to PY0S St. Peter & Paul archipelago

http://www.teresinadxgroup.com/?p=475

Here's the Google Translate text, for those of us who have a little trouble with Portugese:
    ------------------------------------
    Published on March 5, 2012 by admin

The Return of the Brazilian government against Crusaders Amateur.

Forbidden DXpedition to PY0S

The Amateur Radio DXpedition are prohibited from the archipelago of Saint Peter and Saint Paul (PY0S), the archipelago consists of a set of rocky islands located in the northern hemisphere, on the Mid Atlantic ridge (00 ° 55.01 'N and 029 º 20.76 'W, about 1100 km from the city of Natal - RN and 520 km from the archipelago of Fernando de Noronha - EP). It is the nearest point of Brazil of Africa, lying about 1820 km from Guinea Bissau. This is a remote group of islands near the equator, which occupies an area emerged about 17,000 m2, whose maximum elevation is 18 m above sea level.

The Aqruipélago of St. Peter and St. Paul is in 16th place in 2011 DXCC list of most wanted entities.

The prohibition that is published on the website of SERCIM (Link) - Secretariat of the Interministerial Commission for Sea Resources that coordinates and controls the PROGRAM ARCHIPELAGO OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, came as a surprise to the Amateur Radio Service. SECIRM participate in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA), Ministry of Education (MEC), Ministry of Mines and Energy (MME), Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovation (MCTI), Ministry of Environment (MMA), Ministry of Fisheries and Aquaculture (MPA) and the Navy of Brazil.

The Federal LABRE DX and some groups in Brazil have shown a true outrage on Social Networks on the Internet. There is already a great mobilization on the part of Amateur Radio with the Brazilian Federal Senators and Representatives to try to reverse the decision to ban DXpedition to PY0S. The biggest concern among hams is that this decision could open a precedent for restrictions on other entities in Brazil as in other parts of the world.

The Teresina DX Group adds to this mobilization and disclaims any decision by government agencies that may restrict or hinder the development of Amateur Radio in our country.
    Published by admin TDXG.
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 300!!!!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

I'm wondering about what reasoning might be behind this decision. Thinking back on the last DXpedition I followed only the bravest or maybe most foolish go there anyway, they're not called St Peter and St. Paul ROCKS for nothing.
    "The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA
    Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.

You got Peter, and Paul, where is Mary?

cul de n8tb
    "Sadly, it always takes a few martyrs to get the ball rolling." Colonel Tim Boldman 2001
    "There are no differences but differences of degree between different degrees of difference and no difference."--William James
    "Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings." Victor J. Stenger

Is Teh Oyal present? If so, let's go liberate it and show them people.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Quote Originally Posted by kb2vxa View Post
    I'm wondering about what reasoning might be behind this decision. Thinking back on the last DXpedition I followed only the bravest or maybe most foolish go there anyway, they're not called St Peter and St. Paul ROCKS for nothing.
    Ron AC7DX mentioned this in a post to the QSL reflector, I presume he got this off one of the govenrment web sites (SERCIM?) and translated it:
    Amateur Radio expeditions to St Peter and St Paul Archipielago are not allowed because they do not conform to the continuing program of maintenance, conservation, management and the utilization of natural resources of the archipelago.
    Almost sounds like someone from the US Fish & Wildlife Service got tired of protecting Navassa and Desecheo from the unwanted advances of Amateur Radio operators & is now moonlighting for Brazil...
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.

Cutch 300!!!!!

When global warming floods the joint, their silly-assed little conservation efforts aren't going to mean squat.

These are rocks, people...like what's in your head. Should you destroy them, nature will always make more...and has been doing so for the last 4.5By or so.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Glad I already have it confirmed.
    When the government's boot is on your throat, whether it is a left boot or a right boot is of no consequence. — GARY LLOYD

The nation we live in is the nation we have built by design, each successive generation raising the wall of tyranny a little higher. - Chris Griffin

Bernie W3UR mentioned something in today's Daily DX on this that I wasn't aware of. Long & short of it is that the agency that "banned" Amateur Radio is not the only agency that has some level of administrative control over the archipelago. What I don't know, and what wasn't mentioned, is if all of the agencies that administer the location have to agree to allow visitors, or if permission is only needed from one or two or some combination thereof.

From somethings I've seen on other sites, our friends in PY not to happy about this announcement & they're working on this.

I guess the next time the place is QRV, whenever that is, I'll have to make more of an effort to work them. Hadn't been an issue, since my goal was 300 entities worked, not Honor Roll, but still...

BAN THE DH!

Cutch 300!!!!!

"...they do not conform to the continuing program of maintenance, conservation, management and the utilization of natural resources of the archipelago."

WHAT natural resources? Do these look natural to you? Looks more like RF resources to me, after all hams are the number one cause of TVI...
    Last edited by kb2vxa; 03-08-2012 at 11:12 PM.
    "The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA
    Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.

Quote Originally Posted by N8YX View Post
    When global warming floods the joint, their silly-assed little conservation efforts aren't going to mean squat.

These are rocks, people...like what's in your head. Should you destroy them, nature will always make more...and has been doing so for the last 4.5By or so.
    They say that human traffic can have a significant effect on animal and plant life in various regions. This is particularly true ( or so they say ) in isolated coastal and mountain regions. As an environMENTAList I once knew used to say, "the human disease has tread upon natures most pristine creations" and therefore felt that many wilderness trails should be closed to the "human disease"... Now, thin k about ham radio impinging upon pristine land with deadly energy waves. It's HAARP man... get out the tinfoil and lets make some hats.
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.