Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: alinco hand held

SK Member 8/11/2015

alinco hand held

I picked up a alinco model dj-f1 at a hamfest.I was trying to set it up today.Everything worked ok except when I put in the 146.520 freq,when I pushed the ptt,it says "off".I thought that was only when you were out of the transmitting range.Anyone know whats wrong?

The VFO on that unit can be field programmed top restrict the transmit frequency range. It's possible that the previous owner did, so try resetting it. The manual is available on Alinco's Web site.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Make sure you're in simplex mode. If not, and it's set duplex at -600, you will be out of band on xmit. At that point the radio says nyet.
    Last edited by K7SGJ; 03-04-2012 at 07:18 PM.
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL

Quote Originally Posted by K7SGJ View Post
    Make sure you're in simplex mode. If not, and it's set duplex at -600, you will be out of band on xmit. At that point the radio says nyet.
    Funny, I was just coming back to say the same thing. Good call, Ed.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

SK Member 8/11/2015
    I've already printed the manual out.I did the factory reset before trying to add in my frequency's.The default is + 600,and the 146.52 does show a plus.I don't know how to make it go to simplex on that freq. without having to reset it everytime I need to use that freq.

Well, your Eminence, even a blind squirrel finds an occasional nut, usually his own, but, what the hey?
    Last edited by K7SGJ; 03-04-2012 at 07:43 PM.
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL

See page 22, "Setting Offset (Shift) Direction"

Quote Originally Posted by K7SGJ View Post
    Well, your Eminence, even a blind squirrel finds an occasional nut, usually his own, but, what the hey?
    You kidding me? Your own are always the best ones to find. You don't want to lose track of 'em, after all.

SK Member 8/11/2015
    I just read page 22.Not sure if I understand it,but as soon as I get it off the charger I'll see if I can get it on simplex for that freq. Thanks

Some of the amateur gear manuals are a mite confusing, even to those who write technical documentation for a living. Almost all VHF/UHF gear manufactured in the last 10 or so years has "default" repeater offsets (which are based on current band plans) programmed from the factory. If a prior owner changes these for any reason, restoring the defaults can occasionally result in a few uttered cursewords. The menus on some radios are NOT intuitive...and the poorly-written manuals don't help matters.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."