Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Icom 701 and computer control

Icom 701 and computer control

I picked up an old Icom 701 locally and after doing some internet research I found that it was possible to mod this radio to allow computer control of some radio functions through the back panel ACC plug despite the fact this is a pre-CAT transciever! (rig manufactured c.1980)

I know that computer control is possible because my searches led me to a Youtube video done by KA6BFB demonstrating an I-701 controlled with Ham Radio Deluxe of all things!

I'm really intrigued to experiment with the possibility of doing this with this old rig that supposedly can't be supported with any kind of computer control.Any information anyone can supply would be greatly appreciated :)
    Why,driving into a brick wall at 60 miles per hour, would I expect it not to hurt! :roll:

Walk and Talk like a Canajun!!

Take a look at the processor unit used in the R-70 and the IC-720(A) - is it the same as the '701?

If so...I know how to make it work.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Have you asked Dave KA6BFB? Here is his email: dave@tinkyr.com and his webpage: http://www.qsl.net/ka6bfb/

Seems like an interesting guy.

"One man with courage makes a majority." ~ Andrew Jackson

Steve KA9MOT
    Macomb, IL

Quote Originally Posted by KA9MOT View Post
    Have you asked Dave KA6BFB? Here is his email: dave@tinkyr.com and his webpage: http://www.qsl.net/ka6bfb/

Seems like an interesting guy.
    Excellent ....i've fired off an e-mail to Dave asking if he can provide any more info on this 701 control mod than he provided in his Youtube video .....this looks to be a cool thing to attempt on this old icom radio!
    Why,driving into a brick wall at 60 miles per hour, would I expect it not to hurt! :roll:

Quote Originally Posted by N8YX View Post
    Take a look at the processor unit used in the R-70 and the IC-720(A) - is it the same as the '701?

If so...I know how to make it work.
    Fred .... the information i've been able to glean on my searches indicate that the mod for the icom 701 is similar to mods... "that can be performed on the Icom 211 and and the Icom 245 as the use similar systems and pinouts on the ACC socket..." it's not much to go on but KA6BFB claims he was able to do it.... i've yet to dive into this 701 under the cover yet,as I wanted to DL the manual for thing and get an idea of the inner workings before I go into it...... it's a 30 year old radio but it performs quite well ...... i've never owned or really operated an icom radio so i'm not familiar with it........ but for some strange reason curiousity has me attracted to this radio ........ this coming from a Yaesu guy!

Quote Originally Posted by VE7DCW View Post
    Fred .... the information i've been able to glean on my searches indicate that the mod for the icom 701 is similar to mods... "that can be performed on the Icom 211 and and the Icom 245 as the use similar systems and pinouts on the ACC socket..." it's not much to go on but KA6BFB claims he was able to do it.... i've yet to dive into this 701 under the cover yet,as I wanted to DL the manual for thing and get an idea of the inner workings before I go into it...... it's a 30 year old radio but it performs quite well ...... i've never owned or really operated an icom radio so i'm not familiar with it........ but for some strange reason curiousity has me attracted to this radio ........ this coming from a Yaesu guy!
    Seems pretty self explanatory to me OM. :twisted:
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL

Quote Originally Posted by K7SGJ View Post
    Seems pretty self explanatory to me OM. :twisted:
    It's insanity I tell you ....... :wiggle:

Quote Originally Posted by VE7DCW View Post
    It's insanity I tell you ....... :wiggle:
    I dunno. Take a slow glance around the Island. Do you notice that insanity IS the Islands' version of sanity?

Oh shit. What have I done? Carlo is going to be along shortly, and let me know he resembles that remark, then I'll have to stand erected...your right it is insanity.................Never mind.
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL

I dunno. Take a slow glance around the Island. Do you notice that insanity IS the Islands' version of sanity?

Oh shit. What have I done? Carlo is going to be along shortly, and let me know he resembles that remark, then I'll have to stand erected...your right it is insanity.................Never mind.
    There is logic in your thinking .....The Island is a force in itself!

Hey, you're talkin' about a guy who just dumped sixty bucks on freakin' toobs for a boat anchor he doesn't really need. If that don't count as insanity, I don't what does.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.