Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Predict The Obligatory Whine

Predict The Obligatory Whine

2012 ARRL DX CW Contest begins tonight at 0000 UTC (7 PM EST) and runs for 48 hours.

I'm thinking of starting a virtual pool to predict when the first post complaining about "them dang kahntoasters" taking up the bands will be posted... well, elsewhere.

If you'd like to participate, just for fun, please try and predict the following:

The date and time (within the quarter hour) of the first post. Date & Time in UTC.
    The person making the post.
    The forum the first post will show up in (for example, QRZ: Discussions, eHam: Contest Forum, etc.)

In the unlikely event of a tie, the tie-breaker will be your best guess as the first person to respond to the original complaint that non-contesters should go to the WARC bands for the duration.

Place your (virtual) bets, place your bets!
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 300!!!!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Here's some cheese to go with that whine:

And my entry is 00:30 UCT on 17 Feb 2012 on QRZ, poster will be IOI
    Last edited by NQ6U; 02-17-2012 at 02:59 PM.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Won't happen, Ron. CW contests rarely result in QRZ Bitchfests. That's reserved for phone contests.
    "People Who Don't Want Their Beliefs Laughed at Shouldn't Have Such Funny Beliefs" -AD5MB

"If someone tells you he believes in and talks to an invisible bunny named Harvey, you put him on medication and a regimen of therapy. If someone tells you he believes in and talks to God, well, that's perfectly acceptable. Why that's the case is impossible for me to fathom." - WP2XX

Latest ClubLog entries.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ3N View Post
    Won't happen, Ron. CW contests rarely result in QRZ Bitchfests. That's reserved for phone contests.
    Oh contrare. The kvetching will start BEFORE the phone contest does, but there will be kvetching about the CW end.

And it's not just on the Zed. eHam has it's share of them too.
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 300!!!!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Underneath the Atomic Ooze of Hanford, WA
    Quote Originally Posted by W3WN View Post
    Oh contrare. The kvetching will start BEFORE the phone contest does, but there will be kvetching about the CW end.

And it's not just on the Zed. eHam has it's share of them too.
    I agree, the anti-contest dopes will come out of the woodwork, even though it's a CW contest. You'd think that an occasional weekend off from talking about their pellagra would do some of these stations good.

Does anyone even read eham? Last time I was there, which admittedly was years ago, the forums were jumbled and hard to follow.

An off topic question- Is it my imagination, or are a lot of the "frequency parkers" new hams? I started googling callsigns of some of the clowns I hear on 75 at night, and a lot of these guys with shiny cool 1x2 or 2x1 callsigns haven't been licensed very long. Yet, they all give the IMPRESSION, they've been licensed forever.

It's my fun new party game! VanityHq.com is good spot to look up callsigns, much better than the zed.
    http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q275/nx6d/ham%20radio/SANY1260.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by nx6d View Post
    An off topic question- Is it my imagination, or are a lot of the "frequency parkers" new hams? I started googling callsigns of some of the clowns I hear on 75 at night, and a lot of these guys with shiny cool 1x2 or 2x1 callsigns haven't been licensed very long. Yet, they all give the IMPRESSION, they've been licensed forever.

It's my fun new party game! VanityHq.com is good spot to look up callsigns, much better than the zed.
    nope, ive caught a couple of them myself. freq. is dead someone asks it is in use, someone jumps right up says its in use. and pisses and moans about how dare you ask. everyone should know our damn net is here every night and starts in a hour, look up the call. recent issue. and some are long timers.

but will piss and moan if you use that freq 2 hours before the worthless net begins.
    I AM THE VOICE OF THE VOICELESS!

I messed with VanityHQ for a while. Looking up 1x3's (I like them best). I "discovered" an old Elmer's callsign (did not know of it when I knew him), and it was perfect. Has rhythm on CW, and good phonetics for phone.

1x3 is cool and retro, the "expert newbies" are not interested... they want that "Extra Callsign".

If I ever bother to upgrade, I'm keeping this one.
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

Holy shit. Not another effing contest. It's the same damn thing every GD weekend. Not only does it wreak havoc with the sail mail, it's impossible to have a decent QSO with Chuckles. Oh wait. Doesn't matter what is or is not happening you can never have a decent QSO with that twit. Never mind.....
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL

Quote Originally Posted by K7SGJ View Post
    Not only does it wreak havoc with the sail mail, it's impossible to have a decent QSO with Chuckles. Oh wait. Doesn't matter what is or is not happening you can never have a decent QSO with that twit. Never mind.....
    :rofl:
    "People Who Don't Want Their Beliefs Laughed at Shouldn't Have Such Funny Beliefs" -AD5MB

"If someone tells you he believes in and talks to an invisible bunny named Harvey, you put him on medication and a regimen of therapy. If someone tells you he believes in and talks to God, well, that's perfectly acceptable. Why that's the case is impossible for me to fathom." - WP2XX

Latest ClubLog entries.

I'll have to see about working this one /bicycle mobile - going to go for a long ride today if the weather cooperates. Suppose I ought to look into an FT-817 for the bikes, given the amount of time I spend riding. 10/12/15M QRP might be doable with favorable propagation and a rack-mounted, loaded multiband vertical such as an Opek or Outbacker. Either antenna is light enough and small enough for this application. One can always trail a wire counterpoise behind the bike while in motion. :chin:

ETA: Posting from a tablet sucks!

My bets are that someone's RTTY or PSK ox will be gored by 0000 UTC this evening and we'll hear all about it...
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."