Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Instant Coffee

Instant Coffee

I remember when i was a kid back in the 1950's and early 60's the big thing was "instant coffee". Maxwell House, Sanka, Chock Full O Nuts. It came in glass jars that had a vacuum seal under the screw on lid. Maxwell House was the big one that everyone seemed to use. My parents used it all the time. They only used the percolator on special occasions, usually when we had guests. Everyone liked it because all you needed was a cup of hot water and a measuring spoon.

Nowadays it's rare I see instant coffee much. Everyone has gone back to brewing.
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.

Never put instant coffee in the microwave.

Ew, dirty sock water.

"A night sky full of cries. Hearts filled with lies. The contract: is it worth the price?"

I've been using a Keurig for many years and I have some refillable kcup baskets for it. The prefilled are too damn expensive, so I grind my own coffee and can do fresh a cup at a time. A freash hot cup is always ready to be made, and this way I don't waste a half a pot, or have a pot go bitter before I get to it. In the evening, I'll just throw some instant decaf in a cup and get the hot water from the Keurig. It's really not too bad for a quick cup.
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL

Quote Originally Posted by K7SGJ View Post
    I've been using a Keurig for many years and I have some refillable kcup baskets for it. The prefilled are too damn expensive, so I grind my own coffee and can do fresh a cup at a time. A freash hot cup is always ready to be made, and this way I don't waste a half a pot, or have a pot go bitter before I get to it. In the evening, I'll just throw some instant decaf in a cup and get the hot water from the Keurig. It's really not too bad for a quick cup.
    I use Nespresso, same concept. Stronger rich coffee per cup. Love it.

"A night sky full of cries. Hearts filled with lies. The contract: is it worth the price?"

Vile stuff. That said, I keep a jar hidden somewhere at work for emergency use. That's in the event that the can of grounds I have hidden for emergencies runs out.
    I am surprised at such a sudden deterioration in a woman whose only ailment was a lazy anus.

Tried a cup of coffee once when I was younger. Didn't like it and never picked up the habit (not that it's a bad thing).

Enjoying a "spot of tea" these days. Total newbie to this, but I'm kind of liking the Celestial Seasonings chamomile.

Quote Originally Posted by kf0rt View Post
    Tried a cup of coffee once when I was younger. Didn't like it and never picked up the habit (not that it's a bad thing).

Enjoying a "spot of tea" these days. Total newbie to this, but I'm kind of liking the Celestial Seasonings chamomile.
    Does that contain actual "tea" leaves? Otherwise, I say, you're just drinking, "Natures Ludes."

ETA:

Put the tea kettle on the burner. Grind the beans in the grinder.
    Put the (coarse) grounds in the french press. Wait for the boil.

Pour the hot water into the press, wait 1-2 min, and plunge it!

Short wait, instant enough. Gourmet. Kickass Caffeine.

Not fast enough?

Put the grounds in your mouth, sip hot water and swish!
    Last edited by WØTKX; 02-02-2012 at 10:41 AM.
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

Quote Originally Posted by KG4CGC View Post
    Does that contain actual "tea" leaves? Otherwise, I say, you're just drinking, "Natures Ludes."

ETA:
    From the box:

The soothing sweet apple notes in this beloved tea are achieved by blending elegant chamomile flowers from around the world. Our golden Egyptian chamomile has a delicate floral quality, while chamomile from Mexico contributes a sweet, earthy flavor. You'll take comfort in a cup of this perfectly blended chamomile tea any time of day.

We've used chamomile from the same family of Egyptian farmers for 30 years! The whole village helps harvest, dry and sift the crop by hand.
    Delicate floral quality? Egads, I think I've been drinking douche!

ETA: It's caffeine-free.