Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I wanna Ten Tec Argonaut V and I want it now

Conch Master

I wanna Ten Tec Argonaut V and I want it now

I'm putting my ol' Alinco DX-70 in my truck. Now I want a Ten Tec base in the house. I like the possibilities of the Argonaut V. Sure a lousy 20 watt output, but I think it can grow with an amp later. Plus its really the only Ten Tec I can afford. There is one on the TenTec Website, but they want $740. Its gotta be cheaper somewhere else?
    Last edited by KK4AMI; 01-31-2012 at 04:07 PM.
    "Love Trumps Hate."
    "You Facist, Sexual Predator!"
    " I thought a lot about blowing up the White House"
    Uh Huh, What Love?

I too have longed for one.

"A night sky full of cries. Hearts filled with lies. The contract: is it worth the price?"

I'll settle for a Paragon II and an Omni 6A.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Conch Master
    Quote Originally Posted by N8YX View Post
    I'll settle for a Paragon II and an Omni 6A.
    ...and how is that settling? I think those two are more expensive then the Argonaut V. I've been checking the stuff you recommended. The TS-940 is almost a $1000 proposition!
    I read that the Argonaut V is pretty good on AM to.
    "Love Trumps Hate."
    Uh Huh, What Love?

Quote Originally Posted by KK4AMI View Post
    I wanna Ten Tec Argonaut V and I want it now
    Yeah? Me too.

That's a good price, and while you can find Argonaut V's cheaper (by about $50 - 100), consider that you're buying a refurbed unit from Ten-Tec themselves. That ALONE is worth an extra $200, and if you buy one elsewhere, you are taking it on faith that everything's OK. Consider what it would cost to have Ten-Tec service check the rig out... plus shipping...

Don't quibble. Buy it while you can.

I came very close to buying one, but before I made up my mind to run up the charge card, they went out of production. I did have temporary custody of one while W3RJM was in the hospital, and I've used W3WH's at his QTH.

Now, at a max of 25 watts out, you'd think that they're at a great disadvantage compared to a stock 100 W rig. Despite technically being 6 dB down, as a practical matter, no difference; I've broken pileups with them.

I still want one, even though I really don't NEED one right now. Now that I have the Omni VI+, and the Corsair II, if I got an Argonaut V, it would most likely be used as a remote controlled (via a laptop) dedicated packet station. Plus, with a PM-2B, Tuna Tin II, and K9AY QRP rigs in the shack (to say nothing of my classic Ameco AC-1) I really can't justify another QRP rig.

But I still want one!!
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 300!!!!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

I understand the lust. The Argo V is very nice, but commands a premium on the used market. A used Jupiter isn't that much more, and a damn fine everyday rig. I have a Delta II. High power version of the Argonaut II, it will do 100 watts full duty cycle. If I sold it (they are rare) it would be for about $650. The Pegasus (baby Jupiter, no knobs) can be found for $600-$800 depending on condition and accessories. Those are my newest Ten Tec rigs. I also have four of their transverters.

Have two Omni D's and a Corsair I. All have matching supplies and VFO's. All were about 200-300 for the radio, 50 or so for the supplies, and a hundred for the VFO. The later Omni rigs (V, VI, and VI+) are pretty pricey used as well, are excellent rigs... but again, they hold their value, so are going to be close to a used Jupiter.

To be honest with you, if you were looking at $600 or so, the Flex 1500 is amazing for the price... but also requires a PC, and a faster one than the Pegasus. Rescuing used Ten Tec rigs is a fine thing to do. My latest is the Corsair I, good looking and a performer.

Last edited by WØTKX; 01-31-2012 at 07:50 PM.
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

Quote Originally Posted by KK4AMI View Post
    ...and how is that settling? I think those two are more expensive then the Argonaut V. I've been checking the stuff you recommended. The TS-940 is almost a $1000 proposition!
    I read that the Argonaut V is pretty good on AM to.
    I have $1k into two loaded 940's. One cost me $250 plus $50 for a better faceplate...and about 8 hours bench time to fix the VCO/PLL circuit boards.

It's back on the bench for a power supply upgrade - new cooling fan and mounts, plus a crowbar circuit for the 28v PA line. Have to repair the attenuator pad and am going to perform the AM mod while the rig is apart. When it's finished I'll do the same to the one which arrived in "working" condition.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

I have $1k into two loaded 940's. One cost me $250 plus $50 for a better faceplate...and about 8 hours bench time to fix the VCO/PLL circuit boards.

It's back on the bench for a power supply upgrade - new cooling fan and mounts, plus a crowbar circuit for the 28v PA line. Have to repair the attenuator pad and am going to perform the AM mod while the rig is apart. When it's finished I'll do the same to the one which arrived in "working" condition.
    Personally I liked both my 930 and 950 better than my 940. I was rig sitting for lack of a better term a TS-870S, boy do I miss that radio.

"A night sky full of cries. Hearts filled with lies. The contract: is it worth the price?"

Conch Master

You have me at an advantage with your repair capabilities. I've been watching working TS-940s on ebay going from 750 to 1000.
    "Love Trumps Hate."
    Uh Huh, What Love?